Author Topic: Register of Tradesmen in Scotland  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Register of Tradesmen in Scotland
« on: Sunday 12 August 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
As my ancestor was a painter & glazier in CASTLE DOUGLAS, KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE, SCOTLAND in the 1800s, I was wondering if there was a register that identified tradesfolk?
Best regards
Rob
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Tradesmen in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
From 1855 the valuation rolls will give name, address, occupation, landlord/tenant/occupier of premises and the valued annual rent. There are annual post office directories, which give name, occupation and address (but not all areas are covered and everyone is not included). There are also a number of other directories covering various areas. Again, not everyone is included and the entries usually give no more than name, address (often just the town or village) and occupation. If someone is working on their own account or with their own business, they may appear. If they are employed by someone else, they will likely appear as a resident in the valuation roll, but are less likely to appear in a directory.

Some post office directories are available on-line on the National Library of Scotland website.

Moving this to the Kirkcudbright board will bring it to the attention of someone who is familiar with the resources of that area and might have readier access to them.

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Tradesmen in Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi GR2Thanks for the info & advice.  How do I transfer this string to the Kirkcudbrightshire board?
Regards
Rob

* Moderator comment: topic moved to Kirkcudbrightshire board :) *
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw