Author Topic: 1871 Ontario Census + Later Death?  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1871 Ontario Census + Later Death?
« on: Tuesday 14 August 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora
Greetings from New Zealand!
I think I have found the 1871 census entry of John Stewart, his wife Christina (nee Simkin?) & family in Uxbridge Ontario.
If I am reading it correctly from the transcribed list & PDF on Library & Archives then
John is a 54 year old butcher born in England.
Christina is 39 born in England.
The children viz Ann, Elizabeth, William & Emma were born Ontario?? c.1853-1867.

We know the family left Uxbridge and visited England 1877/78. We know that John, Christina, Annie, William & Emma departed from Melbourne in Sept 1878 for New Zealand.
There are gaps obviously!

Can anyone help with Elizabeth Stewart aged 15 in 1871 after that time?
Did she die in Canada prompting the family to leave
?
Did she marry and remain in Canada?
Would a marriage/ death cert be available?
Would Baptisms in C of E Uxbridge for the 1853- 1867 period be available somewhere?

I'd be very grateful for any help/advice. Apologies for the raft of questions!
It's past midnight Down Under & must get some beauty ;) sleep!
Thanks
Dale
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Ontario Census + Later Death?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
More questions  ;D.

Was Elizabeth with the family when they visited England?

Did the family travel from England to Melbourne? It seems a rather small window for them to have returned to Canada prior to this journey?

Nothing obvious related to Elizabeth seems to be popping up in the post-1871 Canadian on line records.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Tena Koe Polar Bear
Tks for your response!
There is no mention of Elizabeth in the Journal of the English visit by sister Annie.
Presumption ? That she disappeared before the family  left Canada?
What we have  (as of last night!) is

john & Christine?Christina? both born England about 1817 and 1831 respectively.
Left England before Marriage?
Children born from abt 1853 Ontario
In Uxbridge 1871 census.
In Uxbridge 1875 when William is given a Bible with annotation.

In England 1877/78 Annie's Journal
Left England for Melbourne Aust early 1878
Aboard ship for NZ Sept 1878.
Annie married in NZ 1881
William & Emma drowned tragically mid 1880s.

Elizabeth on 1871 Census was a surprise/shock!

Unfortunately names of ship Canada - England and England to Australia not given in Journal. ::)

Are there Marriage/Death Indexes for Ontario online that I may search?
Thanks again
Dale

LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale,

A couple more sources for you:

1861 census has Elizabeth too - If you have An//y, it is likely there.  Otherwise, here is the free transcription.  They are at Division 3, page 28, lines 43 - 46.  Elizabeth is line 46.  She is 5 and born in Canada

http://ontariocensus.rootsweb.ancestry.com/transcripts/1861/2441-6.html

The Connor and Coltson Directory of Ontario County 1869/70 has your J  Stewart listed as a butcher in Uxbridge

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wjmartin/ontario.htm

The Anglican church in Uxbridge is St. Paul's

http://www.stpauls-uxbridge.ca/History.htm

You could contact them to see where their records are kept. 

If at the Anglican church archives - that would be in Kingston Ontario.  They will do a search for you, but there is a fee. 

http://www.ontario.anglican.ca/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=347

The Uxbridge library has a lot of local records.  They will also look things up for a fee...  They have a free cemetery database, but it is currently off line (for updates) until Sept.  If you can wait, you might find Elizabeth there?

http://www.uxlib.com/?title=links_adults

RK

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 23:04 BST (UK) »
Marriages for Ontario are available on line up to about 1928 and deaths to about 1938. Beyond these approx years they are protected by privacy laws, with a new year added annually. There is no central registry for BMDs Canada ... the BMD records are administered by each individual province.

The Ontario records are available through Ancestry. If you don't have access to the World or Canadian sub you might check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This would give you access to the records, including images. Official registration of deaths began in 1869 and of marriages about 10 years earlier. Registration of Ontario births also began in 1869 but are closed for 100 years.

The birth place for the children certainly looks like Ontario in the 1871 census and if they were all b. Ontario they should also be on the 1861 census and parents, at least, possibly on the 1851 (actually taken 1852). you can access the 1852 census for free at this website ....

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

Oh, RK, I didn't know about that 1861 census transcription website! The original image would be available through Ancestry as outlined above for the BMDs.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
WOW
Thank YOU! I obviously have some work to do! BUT you have given me some very positive leads to follow ! Yes I can access A ***Y through my local library so will gather all I need and pop off for a visit during the afternoon sessions available at the Heritage Library.

I hae noticed an Elizabeth S died aged 23 at Plymouth England within my timeframe so perhaps she was waiting for their sailing to OZ?

So many mysteries to solve with only the barest of clues!
Thanks again
Dale

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Have fun  :).

I forgot to mention that to access images for the 1851/2 census you apparently need to click on 1852 in the middle of the explanatory paragraph.

PB

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23
 - they arrived, I believe, into Melbourne on the Whampoa in Sep 1878 (no Elizabeth)
John, 59,
Christina, 46
Annie, 24
William, 16
Emma, 9

From Trove, the Whampoa did indeed sail from Plymouth, in August 1878 (possibly also via London). However, I think the 1878 death for Elizabeth Ann Stewart is more likely to be that of the Elizabeth Ann Stewart b. Plymouth in 1855.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz - incidentally, the drowning of Emma in November 1886 can be found here. William's death is recorded later the same month, from congestion of the lungs.  You would think if the family had lost three out of four children at such a young age there might be some mention of those circumstances but I can only find the funeral notices for William and Emma, and information on the accident itself... :(

Question: did your Annie marry Jeffrey Napier Hunter? If so, then it's interesting to note that he (according to the paperspast obituary in 1920) was Canadian, and the "Miss Stewart" he married is listed as the sister of Mrs J. Main of Whangarei ( http://www.rootschat.com/links/0pys/  )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

In 1851 Uxbridge we find John Stewart, 32, miller, b England and Christiana , 22 , B England.

In 1861
Uxbridge
John Stewart, Butcher, b Engalnd, 43, CoE
Christiania Stewart, b England 30
Sarah A Stewart, b UC, 8 ..... I believe this must be Annie in other censues
Elizabeth  Stewart, b UC, 5
Living in a frame house.

Looking for Elizabeth I find this marriage:
The handwriting is really bad :

11 Oct 1876, St Paul, Ontario
John Wells Chap?
28, b England, bachelor, Mechanic, res: Uxbridge
parents: John Wells and Susanna Chap
to
Elizabeth Stewart
20 b Uxbridge, spinster, res: Uxbridge
parents: John and Christina Stewart

witnesses: Sarah A Stewart and John Grindion?

I will check the subsequent censuses and see if I spot them.

Deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk