Author Topic: Hoopers of Boveridge Cranborne  (Read 8855 times)

Offline slc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoopers of Boveridge Cranborne
« on: Tuesday 14 August 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there . i am currentlylty researching my ancestors the Hoopers of Boveridge . Does anyone know where i can look to see which Hooper fled to Kelso Scotland during/ after  the Monmouth Uprising to avoid persecution during the Bloody Assizes . I have the Dorset Visitations of 1623 and a Rev Henry Hooper born 1600 Cranborne married Sarah Rycroft  but cannot link Henry to any of the Hoopers of Boveridge  as he is not on the Visitation  We are also led to believe that we are related to Bishop John Hooper who was burnt at the stake in Gloucester by Mary Queen of Scots . We have all the pieces of the jigsaw but cannot quite link them . Help gratefully received

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hoopers of Boveridge Cranborne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

All I can suggest is the old adage that you must work backwards from what you know for certain. If you can give all the details you know about the person at the top of your know tree, there are plenty of people on this site who can help you take the line further back. Given the number of family legends that prove to be false, I think tit would be a waste of energy to work down from the famous Hoopers.

As you probably know, Boveridge is in the parish of Cranborne, and there are Hoopers in the Cranborne registers from when they start in the 16th century, although I can't see any leaving wills.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks RJ Knott,

I have Edward Hooper of Boveridge and Hurn Court  married to Ann Moore of of Southhampton. They had 4 children  Maria, Edward, Katherine and Thomas. This is taken from the Dorset Visitation of 1623. I have  his ancestors back to John Hooper of Sarum and Agnes Porte but can go back no further.

Any more info regarding these children gratefully received but also looking for a Henry Hooper born Cranborne 1600 moved to Kelso  during or after the Monmouth Uprising. Thanks 

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Any more info regarding these children gratefully received but also looking for a Henry Hooper born Cranborne 1600 moved to Kelso  during or after the Monmouth Uprising. Thanks 

The uprising was in 1685, when James II came to the throne; would an 85 year-old flee from Dorset to Kelso?

Do you have a proven link back from your family to those in the visitation? If so, you are beyond my area of expertise? If not, that seems the first priority.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alton1qazx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hello....  I have just connected my family tree  , and it has led me to Henry Hooper who arrived in the province of Maryland,U.S.A. with his wife Sarah Rycroft Hooper and children Elizabeth,Richard,Robert,Henry on July 15 1651. Henry Hooper used the coat of arms of the Boveridge HOOPERS of Cranborne,England.   I am a 10th generation Hooper that grew up on Hoopers Island Dorchester County Maryland and feel pretty sure my search is accurate.Hope to hear from you soon.  Alton1qazx

Offline slc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi there .Thanks for connecting . It is common belief that  William Hooper and his wife Sarah Rycroft Kelso/ Ednham  Roxboroughshire Scotland  emigrated to Boston and that William Hoopers son William was one of the signers of the Declaration of American Indpendance.

It is also well documented that  your ancestors from Hoopers Islands Maryland are connected to Scotland

We believe that the Scottish  family of Hoopers was related to the Hoopers of Boveridge Dorset as they fled the Bloody Assizes which was the fall out from the  Monmouth Rebellion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouth_Rebellion
They were staunchly Protestant and in support of the Duke of momnmouth . That area of Scotland was know for its Protestant sympathisers .

I am trying to make the official connection as we have no documentation to prove this . We know that a Daniel Hooper was deported to Barbados and was later pardoned and settled in Barbados . There is an area in Barbados know as Hooper Lands.

The Hoopers of Boveridge were very politically active and Sir Edward Hooper lived at Boveridge Cranborne . I have visited the church and seen the Coat of Arms and tombstones.I will add a link to these photos

I am related to a branch of Hoopers that came from Ednham and settled in London as Apothecary Surgeons .We know that  they were well educated and wealthy  One of my ancestors was Lord Mayor of London . I am still researching to try and make the link between Boveridge and Ednham and Ednham to London  but am finding it too difficult to find evidence it is mainly hearsay .
If you have  any sources of information I would be grateful  but I think its safe to say that we are related in some way  :).
Keep in touch . I would be delighted to share any more information with you if required Best Wishes

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sic_itur_ad_astra/7240788596/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sic_itur_ad_astra/7240795830/in/photostream/https://www.flickr.com/photos/sic_itur_ad_astra/7240782274/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sic_itur_ad_astra/7240746420/in/photostream/

Offline slc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
I have Williams (signer)  father as William but you may be right it may have been Henry

Offline slc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
Interesting to think that they may have named Dorchester Maryland after their beloved Dorchester in Dorset . So many place names in the USA have links to towns and Citys here in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorchester,_Dorset

Offline slc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
http://www.thedorsetpage.com/history/Monmouth_Rebellion/Monmouth_Rebellion.htm

Hoopers of Boveridge were linked in marriage to Anthony Ashley Cooper and Chafin . Ashley  Coopers lived just down the road from Boveridge at Wimbourne St Giles. I have no doubt that Hoopers were involve din the rebellion and yet there names are not mentioned.