Author Topic: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland  (Read 29008 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« on: Thursday 16 August 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson and Barbara Stevenson lived just outside Banff in Scotland in the late 1800s with a large family.  Four of their sons went to Mexico to seek their fortune in mining.  One of them was called Alexander Stevenson.  His Great Grandson Alexander Stevenson replied to me via the Helena Omond nee Stevenson post on this site so I am posting this new one so that we can communicate more easily.

Many thanks,  nw_whiskers
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi nw_whiskers

Guess this is the post you are referring to www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,596985.msg4595956.html#msg4595956

What are you trying to do this with new post here on the Banff board so that we can all help best?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 12 13:35 BST (UK) »
Dear MonicaL,  Alex Stevenson sent a reply via the Helena Omond nee Stevenson post that I thought that I had closed as I had several "super replies" that covered everything I needed to perfection.  Alex Stevenson is probably living in Mexico, Helena was living in Canada and we are living in Scotland. The common history that we all share is in Banffshire all the way back to Marnoch and then Deskford at around 1714.
Alex Stevenson will probably come back with a host of questions and get a load of fairly complex replies as I have done a lot of research into this Stevenson family history.  One clear thread on the subject makes a lot of sense.
The 1st thread I put up was on Robert Ogilvie Stevenson & Isabella Watt who were the Grandparents of Helena but it was to vague to get any feedback.  My fault so it should be closed as I have indicated.
I hope that this makes sense to you as I want to respond correctly to Alex Stevenson with connections in Mexico.

Many thanks, nw_whiskers.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
I thought that this might be what you wanted to do and it makes a lot of sense  :) However, Alex Stevenson won't know about your post here. Do you want to add a further post on your Canadian post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,596985.0.html that Alex joined to direct him to this new post here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,611048.0.html ?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 August 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
Dear MonicaL,  I have added your advice to the end of the Helena nee. Stevenson Post so that Alex Stevenson knows that he can reply here.  We wish to give him the feedback he wants on the early Stevenson family history.
Many thanks for your help,  nw_whiskers.

Offline A.Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
   Dear nw_whiskers:

No problem! Thanks for replying!   Honestly, I never thought that I would find any relatives in Scotland.   It's been 11 years since my father asked me to look on the internet for some info about our family, and I'm very glad I found you!   I believe you've met Fernando and his family right?   I met him last year and he told me he met our relatives in Scotland, so I suppose they are the ones that visited you two years ago.   You are right: I have a lot of questions.   I have little information, and most of it I have found it talking with other relatives, like Fernando, or looking on internet databases.   I don't know where to begin!   I suppose you too want to know how many of us live here in Durango, what happened to Alexander Ogilvie and what do we know about other branches of our family here in Mexico.   I can gladly help you with that.   Right now I am at work, but when I get home I will drop you some lines about our family.    Also, if possible, can you send me an e-mail address to send you some photos?   Thanks and have a great day!

Best regards,

Alex   

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 12 01:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex, The easy point to start with is Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson born 1870 or his parents Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson b 1830 and his wife Barbara Stevenson nee Stevenson b 1845 or one more generation back to Robert Ogilvie Stevenson b 4 Feb 1778 and his wife Isabella Watt b 13 Oct 1787.  The choice is up to yourself and what you are happy with.  Yes, you are correct about Fernando.  We had a very happy time with them.  We will upset the site Moderator if we exchange e-mail addresses in an open forum but we can solve that at a later point.  Most of the information/evidence you need is freely available but it is scattered about in different places so I will give you the pointers to where it is on the net.  The Aberdeen & North East of Scotland Family History Society is certainly one of them.  www.anesfhs.org.uk 
Best wishes,  nw_whiskers     

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 12 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi nw w

I hope you post the highlights of your story here, however you can share email addresses using personal messaging. Simply select the green scroll under Alex's avatar to communicate in private.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline A.Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 August 12 07:09 BST (UK) »
   Dear nw_whiskers:

Finally I got home, so I can write a little more.   First I want to ask if my Great Grandfather had more sisters and brothers.   I have just the names I provided on the thread about Helena.  If so, did they stay in Scotland or migrated to another countries?  I will be very grateful for any info you can provide.   And now, here comes the story about our family that I know.    First I want to share with you what I know about Alexander Ogilvie and his brothers in Mexico, perhaps you know a little more that we can use to complete the story.   About George and Norman I know nothing.   I don`t know what happened to George, I mean, we are the only Stevenson living in Durango, so either he had no sons, or probably his family migrated from here after he passed away.   About Edward, there is a kind of family legend around him.   As you already know, Edward died very young in Real de Catorce.   At that time, Real de Catorce was a booming, and very rich, mining town.   The family story says that Edward got killed during a shootout at a bar.   Fernando told me that he went to Real de Catorce looking for his grave, and he couldn't find it.   Apparently, Norman took Edward to San Luis and buried him there.  As far as I know, Alexander Ogilvie lived for a while in San Luis and El Paso.   Living in San Luis makes sense to me, because of the booming mining industry at that time.   Perhaps Alexander chose to move to another another place and Normand decided to stay.

Alexander lived two different eras in Mexico.   When he and his brothers arrived, Mexico was under rule of a dictator, Porfirio Diaz.   Diaz liked europeans so much that he tried to attract investment and labor force into Mexico, obviously gave them a lot of benefits.   Mines were built, the railroad, industry... And all of that was possile with the intervention of europeans.   I think Mexico looked to the outside world like a land of opportunities.   So I have another question for you, how was Scotland at the end of the 19th century?   Why did they choose to leave their country and come to Mexico? I think I have an idea why they chose to come here, but I dont have an idea of why they chose to leave.   At this time, Alexander married Catalina Torrijos, my Great Grandmother.     There is another family story about how they met.   Supposedly they met at the main square.   Back on those days, if you wanted to meet someone, you took a walk on the main square.   Women walked one way, and the men came from the opposite, so they could look at each other.   I know Alexander worked on an iron mine here in Durango.   A few years ago someone showed me and old record from the municipal archive.  It was a complain of a neighbor because Alexander used dynamite very close to his home and he felt the explosion.   The complain came from someone living near "El cerro de Mercado", a hill full of iron with a mine that its still operational these days. 

I don't know precisely how many sons and daughters had Alexander Ogilvie with Catalina.   I have some names, Alejandro Ogilvie (b. 1910 - d. 1966, my Grandfather), Roberto Ogilvie (b. 1916 - d. 2012), Catalina, Alicia (d. 2006-2007) and Leonor.   On further posts I will write a little bit about them. 

My best,

Alex