Author Topic: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland  (Read 29260 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
As far as church records are concerned, the vast majority of Scottish church records are available in digital form at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk so it is not necessary - or indeed advisable - to go to the individual churches for records of births/baptisms and marriages before the start of civil registration in 1855.

What do you want to know about Troup Head?

It is in the parish of Gamrie, which is the most easterly parish in Banffshire, and next door to the parish of Aberdour in Aberdeenshire (not to be confused with the parish of the same name in Fife).

There are photographs at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8267

As far as I know there have never been any permanent houses on Troup Head itself. The nearest farm is Northfield. There were some cottages at Northfield Croft, a little north-west of Northfield, but these have long since vanished.

There is a photograph of Northfield at https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ8266
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Troup House and the Troup estate were owned by the Garden family and the nearby Northfield estate by the Keiths. The parish kirkyard, St John's, contains no gravestones to anyone called Stevenson or Stephenson.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Calhun, Do you reckon that your Stevenson fellow had connections to Banffshire in Scotland where a great number of them were into farming in one form or another just like Alexander and Barbara Stevenson in the subject of this post. I note that you have your fellow leaving Ireland about 1818 with no first name?

I hope that the other two replies that you have are of help to you.  nw_whiskers 
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 16 July 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Richard Stevenson born about 1788, from Ireland and married to Mary Long, b. 1804, Ireland. Settled in Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada. Two children born in N.B. Ann Stevenson b. 1825 married Alexander Moore, b. 1812, Armagh, County Antrim, Ireland. Alexander to Canada in 1818. Ann's brother born c1826 Canada, Andrew Campbell Stevenson. Thank you for your reply. Genealogy is great!

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 16 July 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
Troup House and the Troup estate were owned by the Garden family and the nearby Northfield estate by the Keiths. The parish kirkyard, St John's, contains no gravestones to anyone called Stevenson or Stephenson.
[/qu
Thank you for your response. I believe I have heard of the relationship between Troup and Gordon before. These times would have been 1740 to 1780 if in fact Sarah Troup ran off with the gardener's son, John Nathaniel Angus. John Angus had a son, Nathaniel Angus who married "Agnes" Nancy Hamilton Gordon in County Down, Ireland, about 1811. Many from this line have heard of the story but further proof remains to be found. Many thanks!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
I suspect the elopement story might be somewhat mythical, or happened in Ireland, rather than Scotland. In the time-scale you mention, the laird of Troup was Alexander Garden (Garden, not Gordon). He was born in 1714, succeeded his father in 1740, and served as MP for Aberdeenshire from 1768 - 1785, when he died. He never married and left no children. His younger brother succeeded to the estate.

If Sarah's surname was Troup, she would have no connection with the Garden family.

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 16 July 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of those long ago times. Perhaps our story has changed over time? Perhaps parts are correct and others not.

FAMILY BEGINNINGS

“ Twas seventeen hundred and seventy, Maybe!
In Northern Ireland, Lord Troupe lived with his Lady.
A daughter they had, Sarah by name.
She would make a good match, but Sarah won’t play the game.
While her Ladyship planned a Duke to be won
Sarah was off to Gretna Green with the Gardeners son.
They leapt over the anvil; Scotland said they were wed
But back home in England, they might as well have been dead!
John Angus, this Treachery will bring you no gain!
Sarah Troupe, this mischief will bring you much pain.
The years roll along and on Ireland's shore
Their dear Sophia marries John Moore.
An Irishman sure, with two wee red headed sons.
But what about Sarah and her other young ones?
Nathaniel’s in trouble for poaching off the grandpa’s Estate
So he’s off on the next ship and not as first mate!
But dressed as a woman or so the story goes
He left Mother and Country and all of his woes!
In Nova Scotia he settled his own land.
Soon back home in Ireland, more journeys were planned.
With their Treasures all packed up, boxed up and baled,
On Captain Lyon’s ship “Jesse” the Angus and Moore crew sailed.
They sailed and they sailed ‘til off Newfoundland’s Shore
Sophia gave birth to the first little “Black” Moore!
They landed at last at St. John, New Brunswick.
Those poor and hardy ancestors of you and of me!
They were both given land grants on Goose Rivers Shore
Where they settled side by side, John Angus and John Moore.
John Angus, then Nathaniel, William, Allison, Ernest and Thee,
John Moore, then Samuel, Thomas, Whylie and Me.

Hope you enjoy the poem. Written by an Angus girl and friend. c1960

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 16 July 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
You might find it interesting to read the comments here https://www.artuk.org/artdetective/discussions/discussions/which-lord-troup-is-this-can-it-be-dated-from-the-sitters-plaid/username/Jade-King/status/active/page/4

Just a note about the original question. A plaid is a woollen garment, unstitched, and worn in a variety of ways. It may or may not be made of tartan cloth.

What it is not is the design or pattern of the cloth from which plaids and other garments are made.

The checked woollen cloth usually associated with Scotland is tartan, not plaid.

A specific design or pattern of tartan is called a sett.

It might be possible, if the tartan were clearly depicted, to deduce what clan or family the wearer belonged to. It would always be impossible to tell from the plaid who the wearer is unless the plaid is made of tartan cloth.

Modern tartan setts are mostly 19th century or later inventions.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CLOSED: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« Reply #80 on: Friday 17 July 20 11:23 BST (UK) »
Ref:- The subject matter has drifted away from Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland so I think it is time to CLOSE the subject out even although Tartan Cloth is close to my heart!

Many thanks to everybody for their contributions, nw_whiskers
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland