Author Topic: Look up 1891 - Epping - Joseph Napoleon Dodge  (Read 19074 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up 1891 - Epping - Joseph Napoleon Dodge
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
This is getting silly!!!! Johanna C Dodge/Samuel C Harris marriage March q 1930 west ham. Death, Johanna C Harris aged 61 (1871) corresponds with forbidden census 1932 West Ham,

John

Offline mark1965

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello - thanks for all your efforts - it is much appreciated.

A lot of questions here 2 marriages to the same man plus living under his name in an earlier census. Could Johanna have remarried again after the death of her first husband to avoid bigamy?
Plus 2 death registrations to the same woman and discrepancies with ages and places of birth all over the place
Why change original name to Davis but not the children - could it be a typo or debt/family avoidance. a mystery - definitely worthy of the name Dodge.

Thanks, Mark
Sanders in Birmingham, Bastard in Kent, Kirkham in Birmingham/Shropshire, Hoddinott in Somerset, Phillipps in Wiltshire, Painter in London/Leicester, Ellefsen/Skanke in Norway

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, well if this death registration is correct, then possibly they waited until 1917 to finally become legitimate!

Joseph Dodge March 1915 Shoreditch 1c 128 aged 65

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mark1965

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 August 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's help. This is what you helped me build if anyone is interested. Regards, Mark

Joseph Napoleon Dodge born in the east end of London in Q1 1846 son of Joseph Dodge. He married Johanna Catherine Gilbey on  28 Jan 1889 at St James the Great Church - Bethnal Green

Interestingly on his marriage certificate he states year of birth as 1852 (6 years later than his registered birth date.

Johanna Catherine Gilby (no e) was born in Loughton, Essex in 17/02/1869 – Mother Mary Gilby – no father mentioned on birth certificate although according to marriage certificate her father was Thomas John Gilbey (deceased).

In the 1891 census both Joseph and Kate were living under the surname Davis in Stepney – I couldn’t find out why they changed their name.

Children as follows
17/4/1889  Nellie Dodge, b Shoreditch, 1890 Joseph Napoleon Dodge, b Loughton,
23/3/1893 Arthur John Dodge, b Shadwell, 1897 Percy  Dodge, b East Ham, Essex,
1899 Edwin F Dodge, b East Ham, Essex

Joseph’s occupation was Packing Case Maker at the London Docks.
In the 1901 census the couple are still under the name Davis although the children are baptised Dodge.

In the 1911 census Joseph has disappeared and although no new partner is present Johanna is registered with the children as Catherine Harris.

I now have 2 marriage registrations of Johanna Dodge to a Samuel C Harris
The first - Married Samuel Cecil Harris (aged 36) widower 25.07.1917 St Luke's, Ilford, Essex. Father's name given as Thomas Gilbey deceased - profession given as 'Independent'

The second Johanna Catherine Gilbey (aged 59) widow married Samuel Cecil Harris (aged 48) bachelor 10.02.1930 West Ham. Father's name given as Thomas Gilbey deceased - profession 'of no occupation'

I believe this to be the same couple although they married twice on top of the fact she was down as Mrs Harris in 1911!

I have 2 Joseph Dodges died in London – one in Q1 1915 age 65 and one in Q1 1924 aged 72. Not sure which one although I favour the second this would mean Johanna married bigamously This would again put his birth year around 1850 so he was consistent in lying about his age.

Also interesting is I have two death registrations for Johanna C Harris
The first in West Ham in 1932 – age 61
The second  in Lambeth in 1940 – aged 78, so again a discrepancy in the year of her birth and why two deaths so far apart.  Lots of mysteries here – definitely dodgy!
Sanders in Birmingham, Bastard in Kent, Kirkham in Birmingham/Shropshire, Hoddinott in Somerset, Phillipps in Wiltshire, Painter in London/Leicester, Ellefsen/Skanke in Norway

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 August 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi  their is also this marriage, and I believe Joseph Davis is still around ten years from the last census?

Samuel C Harris to Johana C Dodge Sept 1917 Romford 4a 936

Keyboard86

Hi Mark have you thought about the one son who is not shown as a Dodge ie Joseph b 1891 Loughton, also their is the obvious corruption of Davis ie Davies!

Also, Johanna C is not shown as Catherine but transcribed as Johannh E
Keyboard86

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 August 12 09:47 BST (UK) »
MARK
Having read through your summary please note there are not 2 deaths for a Johanna C Harriis. One is for a death of a Johannah DODGE 1940 aged 78 in Lambeth.
Also in 1911 Johanna is with Samuel Harris.

John

Offline mark1965

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 August 12 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks or everyone's help.

Turns out the Percy Dodge you guys found is the great Grandfather of Tracey Emin recently featured on who do you think they are - and one of the questions raised is why did Percy Davis change his name to Dodge in 1926 - well I think we found half of that answer - so something the WDYTYA researchers missed maybe?

Regards, Mark

Offline chritopher dodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 13:23 BST (UK) »
any more info on this would be great as edwin f dodge was my grandfather , heard plenty of the family stories on this re gilbey and seen letters etc but all a bit of a family mystery !!! Would love to know more was joseph napoleon dodges father the greengrocer ? does it go back any furhter than him ? thanks in advance for your help , anything would be great , amazed about Tracey Emin !!!Bet she would be too!!!

One of the stories was  joseph napoleons  mother was french ? not sure though.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi a possible in1861 RG09/241/89/13 Greengrocer Carman
Keyboard86