Author Topic: Maddens Ballyvelaghan.  (Read 5154 times)

Offline playtime136

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maddens Ballyvelaghan.
« on: Sunday 19 August 12 04:44 BST (UK) »
In the Census 1901/1911/Clare/Abbey/Ballyvelaghan: Residents of a house: shows a John Madden b. 1826/31. My ancestor came from the same area Patrick F. Madden B. 1819 his parents were Denis & Ellen Madden nee Kilkelly comfirmed by his Death Certificate 1892, according to the Valuation of Tenements Parish of Abbey 1855 is there any way I can check John's Death Certificate (not sure date of his death) to check his father mother's names, the census also shows he was married to do not his wife's name.
Regards
Michael
Byrne, Madden, Murphy

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Maddens Ballyvelaghan.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 12 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hello playtime136,

Suggest the Civil Death entry for John from the link below is the Limerick registration district.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0q5k/

Apply to GRO Roscommon in normal way.

Offline playtime136

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Padraig3

I have looked at the link suggested, but please forgive this Australian ignorance but is not a fair distance from Ballyvelaghan Clare to limerick? was Limerick the Registration District for County Clare, also if I applied your information you offered to the LDS would is show John's parents.                                                                                                                                    Regards                                                                                                                                     Michael
Byrne, Madden, Murphy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Death certs dont include details of parents - except sometimes as informant in the case of the death of a child.

see : Details included on a Death Cert

Limerick registration district is based in the city, but includes areas in both counties - approximately 450 townlands in Co. Limerick and nearly 250 in Clare.

To check for districts see the townland database at www.thecore.com/seanruad - registration districts are generally the same as Poor Law Unions - or PLUs

Your Madden family are quite a bit earlier than the family shown on the census returns, so you would have to work a few steps back in time through civil, and then, providing they are available for the dates you need, parish records. I'd start with a birth cert for one of the children to establish the maiden name for the wife in the family on the census, and then follow that up with a search for their marriage to establish father's names..

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Besides the possible Griffth's entry - do you have any clues from Australian records or family stories re which part of Co. Clare your Maddens lived ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
census returns for reference :

Madden household 1911

Madden household 1901

.. you mentioned he was married, but I didn't realize he was a widower on both returns.. could be difficult to find earlier details on him - e.g. wife's name, children's names..

For reference, the registration district for Ballyvelaghan appears to be Ballyvaghan. Here's a link to the Madden events listed in the BMD index for that district. Madden - 1864 to 1930

p.s. re that possible death mentioned Padraig3 in Limerick district - John could have died in a hospital, or when living with a relative in the city ..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello playtime 136,

Of all the John Maddens born 1826-1831 to have survived past the 1911 census the one I have indicated is registered  in the registration district Limerick. I have used http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qb2/ and as you will note of the nine registration districts for Clare , Limerick is included as is Ballyvaghan . Unfortunately there is no registered death in Ballyvaghan for a John Madden with the timeline we were looking at.

The death cert in itself will not provide the parental link, but without an established DOB/baptismal date the task becomes impossible and cost prohibitive . We cannot reliably from online sources establish anymore other than apply for a birth/baptismal certificate using the 1826 birth year and the details you have already to establish the link you are looking for.

There are three John Madden noted on Rootsireland.ie baptised in Co. Limerick, not Co. Clare, in 1826.

Offline playtime136

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
In regards to the location of my ancestors they were located in Ballyvelaghan for I have been in contact with the Parish Priest at New Quay, in the church register is shows the the last 4 children Michael 30/08/1855, Thomas 04/06/1857, Catherine 10/02/1859, James 08/05/1861 I also seen the 1847/64 Valuation of Tenements, Parish of Abby showing my Patrick 14 c, d, also his father Patrick Madden (Denis) 24a 
Byrne, Madden, Murphy

Offline playtime136

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
Not sure if you received this following post, hence I have resent same again
Hi Shane
In regards to the location of my ancestors they were located in Ballyvelaghan for I have been in contact with the Parish Priest at New Quay, in the church register is shows the the last 4 children Michael 30/08/1855, Thomas 04/06/1857, Catherine 10/02/1859, James 08/05/1861 I also seen the 1847/64 Valuation of Tenements, Parish of Abby showing my Patrick 14 c, d, also his father Patrick Madden (Denis) 24a 
[quote author=playtime136 link=topic=611470.msg4610587#msg4610587 date=1345608026
Byrne, Madden, Murphy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
I saw your post ok - seems you had success in locating baptisms.

Did you arrange a search for earlier records (if available) for this family in the parish to see if the parents married there ?

S.
My Surname Interests