Author Topic: Sands marriage, Brighton St Nicolas of Myra  (Read 1475 times)

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sands marriage, Brighton St Nicolas of Myra
« on: Monday 20 August 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Frances Sands to Isaac Rose 05/1/1829

Can a kind soul please check this marriage for witnesses, names of parents status etc. Trying to see if she fits in our tree. Thanks. M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sands marriage, Brighton St Nicolas of Myra
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Fathers names were not shown on marriage entries pre-1837
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
They had 2 children - Esther (1833) and Henry (1831) but Esther - shown as Hester aged 9 - is in the Union Workhouse in 1841
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Are you a member of the Sussex Family History group?   It would be well worth your while joining as their records have numerous entries for the Rose surname in Brighton including two other shoemakers called Abraham and Moses who may well be brothers to Isaac.
There is a burial for a Frances Rose age 36 at St Nicholas church.  Address Cheapside Brighton.

When Esther was baptised in 1833 the address for Isaac was Wood Street.

There is a burial for a Henry age 11 in 1837 - not sure if that will be yours.
Andrea

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea and all,
I think we are cracking this. Its hard doing this long distance but I think Frances and Isaac Rose are coming slowly out of the woodwork.
The 36yr old Francis Rose you mention buried at St Nicolas cheapside would have to have been bap. at Burwash in 1805 so her year of death would be around 1840. If she was a few months to a year old at the time of her baptism  this is the 1840 death on BMD, it seems about right doesnt it?

So she is likely to be John and Mary (nee Woodsell) daughter from Burwash and I can with the evidence accept her as the grand daughter of my 3x great grandfather.

Isaacs parents are given as Sarah and James Rose in the 1851 Brighton census as they are named as grandparents to the 18yr old Esther Rose I cant access the image but we might expect them to come from Tonbridge then? The Sands family had links with Tonbridge and the Maidenhead areas and I can see how the couple may have met.

Henry Rose - Esthers brother did die in 1837 but he was baptised in 1831 at St Nicolas which makes him 6. If he was 11 that birth year is 1826, 2 yrs. before his parents marriage. The Fanny child who died just before 1840 is probably an infant of the couple also.
So the address was Wood Street in Brighton around 1833

Isaac married Mary Compor at Steyning in 1853 and ultimately settled in Hastings. Esther Rose went on to marry William Wright back at Steyning in 1858 and our way forward is then clear..
I'll now chase down the Rose family. So very many thanks...so no bigamists then!! M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
James is from Mayfield Sussex and Sarah from Speldhurst Kent.  He is a Tunbridge ware maker.  There are various baptisms on the SFHG site for fathers with that occupation in Brighton.

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Sillgen, The parents I have for Isaac Rose are a JOHN and Sarah from Tonbridge IGI.
 These are the children that I have from the IGI not james Rose and Mary as on the census (but I cant see that);

All bap at Tonbridge Independent Chapel
Isaac born 15/1/1808 bap 8/5/1808
Abraham 08/7/1805 bap. 13/4/1806
Esther Rose 19/7/1808 bap. 25/6/1804
Moses 16/7/1818 bap 14/2/1819

John Rose and Sarah Weller m. Speldhurst Kent 29/1/1802. 5Km from Tonbridge.

John Rose possib. born at Sevenoaks bap 29/9/1782 to George Rose and Sarah Wood Who m. 30/11/1781 at Sevenoaks

I think my fellow researcher has the James wrong or the census enumerator has James instead of John. Isaac actually has John Rose as father on his marriage certificate says my fellow researcher in an E mail to me. I think I have this right. What do you think.

Isaacs wife Mary Compor - that doesnt sound right, do you think its Cowper? Many thanks for helping me crack this. M.Ann