Author Topic: Andrews Family  (Read 9990 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrews Family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 17:05 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you mean by sending the marriage certificate but I suspect that if Lamont and Josephine did get married it was in the U.S.

Since Denis was a boarder in 1911 perhaps he didn't see much of either parent (father was certaintly in Texas most of the time).
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Nelson_Street/133735
added- original image lists him as blind-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001400165/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Gilly,
       The following is the result of the research I did about 3 years ago.
John Andrews 1721-1808 of Comber married Mary Corbitt, daughter of Michael Corbitt of Newtownards in 1746.  John rented a linen bleach green and also a flour mill. He and Mary had at least six sons.
1.  Thomas Andrews 1747-1809 of Belfast
2.  Michael Andrews  1749-1805 of Castlewellan who married Elizabeth Meek in 1779
3.  John Andrews 1751-1770 of Comber
4.  Robert Andrews b1757
5.  William Andrews 1761-1784
6.  James Andrews  1762- 1841. He was the father of John Andrews of Comber and was my interest in the family.

The Michael Andrews above had 3 sons.
1. Thomas John Andrews 1781- 1842 who married Elizabeth Stevenson in 1813
2. George Miller Andrews 1785-1860 who lived in Jamaica.
3. Michael Andrews 1788- 1870 of Ardoyne House, Edenderry. He married three times, first to Sarah McWilliam in 181o and when she died in 1813 he married Margaret McCammon in ind 1817 and when she died in 1844 he married Elizabeth Ormiston in 1845. She died in 1900.

More detail of some of the early family can be found in http://www.comberhistory.com/chsandrewsfamily.htm

Another researcher sent me the details of a headstone in Clifton street Burial ground. (it's rather long)

Sacred to the memory of Thomas Andrews of Belfast who died on 10 Jun 1809 and of his widow Anne Forde who died 1814. Also of Elizabeth Meek who died 15 March 1841 relict of Michael Andrews of Castlewellan who is interred in Wigton, England where he died in 1805
Dedicated by Michael Andrews of Ardoyne, to the memory of his wife Sarah D. McWilliam who departed this life 11 Dec 1813 and their two children, Michael, deceased 5 Feb 1814 and Thomas, deceased 24 Aug 1829. Also of his second wife, Margt McCammon, died 20 Mar 1844 and theur son Joseph died in the USA june 1855. Also of Isaac Robert, son of Michael and Eliza Ormiston Andrews who died 19 May 1867 aged 14 Years. Here also are interred the mortal remains Michael Andrews, Ardoyne, died 20 Dec 1870 aged 82 years also Thomas Corbitt Andrews, son of the above died 30 Apr 1875 aged 25 years. And here also Eliza Ormiston Andrews, widow of Michael Andrews, Ardoyne, who died 19 Oct 1900 aged 87 years. George, Their younger son died 3 Jul1920 ahed 66years and his wife Eugenie died 28 Nov 1836 aged 80 years.

Dedicated to the memory of Thomas John Andrews who departed this life 16 Jan 1842. Also his son Wm S Andrews who died 4 Oct 1858 aged 38 years and of his widow Elizabeth Andrews who died 12 Feb 1859 aged 69 years. And of Jane Hardie Johnston Andrews, daughter of Thomas Andrews MD> FRS. born 30 Nov 1849 died 7 Aug 1861. Michael Andrews died 15 May 1889 aged 70 years. Also his daughter Isabella Jane Johnston Andrews died 27 Dec 1870 aged 12 years. Jane Johnston Andrews Daughter of the above Thomas John Andrews and Elizabeth Andrews died 5 Feb 1897 aged 81 years. Margaret Andrews, wife of the above Michael Andrews died 14 Oct 1905 aged 85 years. Also their son Randal W J died 3 Jan 1906 aged 50 and was interred in Paris.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline RNJD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 November 12 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating to find this info and I can supplement info from my aunt who has quite a geneology history:

Denis was the blind son that Lamont of Yoakum (my great uncle) never recognized as his son.   My grandfather (M.L.O. Andrews) wrote a lot of letters to his mother, Jane Lamont Carson Andrews in Ireland, and a lot of those letters reveal a lot of info about Denis.   Denis lived with Jane for most of his youth.  Story I remember is that he was left on her doorstep and told that he was Lamont's son...  I'm guessing by Josie.    I thought Josie was Lamont's first wife.   I think she is in the family picture I have here.   Lamont later married Eudelia and they lived in Yoakum, Texas.   

Offline Gilly25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 November 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi RNJD

Thanks for your message, Denis was my great grandfather and died before i was born, i did see alot of his wife Agnes when i was a child but i know nothing about the Andrews side of the family. All i knew was that his father was Lamont and his mother was Josephine, do you know what Josies surname was. I can't find a marriage cert for lamont and Josie.
Any other info or pictures you have would be great, thank you so much.
Andrews - N.Ireland/Scotland
Massey - N.Ireland
Bell - N.Ireland
Grieve - Scotland
Turnbull - Scotland
McKie - Scotland
Hall - N.Ireland
Butler - Scotland
Galloway- Scotland
Montgomerie/Montgomery - Scotland/N.Ireland
Nicholson- Scotland
Mulholland - N.Ireland
Coburn - N.Ireland

Offline Gilly25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 June 13 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you all who have helped me on this family line, any other information is always welcome. Thanks again.
Andrews - N.Ireland/Scotland
Massey - N.Ireland
Bell - N.Ireland
Grieve - Scotland
Turnbull - Scotland
McKie - Scotland
Hall - N.Ireland
Butler - Scotland
Galloway- Scotland
Montgomerie/Montgomery - Scotland/N.Ireland
Nicholson- Scotland
Mulholland - N.Ireland