Author Topic: Philomena Carter - Ottawa  (Read 8618 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Philomena Carter - Ottawa
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 August 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Amazing - ignored that passenger list because it was the wrong name and age  ::)

Pleased you have progressed a little further.

Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 August 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - there is a lady researcher in Switzerland who may be able to help you further. Goes under the name of "Swiss Gill" - could be worth a try

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=47732

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 August 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, I will send Swiss Gill a message to see if she can help. :)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 August 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
I thought that was altogether just too coincidental. ;)

The person with Swiss expertise is an excellent idea. The name seems to be more common in Switzerland than a quick google would suggest:
http://tel.local.ch/en/
- even an Ernest and a couple of Ernsts ...

And as I suggested, there's no harm in contacting the very few Sterchis in the Canadian phone book at present!

edit - as far as staying in England, there are no marriage or death records for any of their names up to 2005, so I would not imagine they settled there. It looks like Ernest was a travelling man and not settled in Canada himself (I'd look into that NYC arrival from Brazil further too), so I might look for them in the US as well, or really just about anywhere.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 August 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Actually, I might wonder whether there was some connection with the Sterchis in Tennessee (who interfere in any search for Sterchis on the net!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_G._Sterchi

"In 1929, Sterchi Brothers was the largest furniture chain in world, with 48 stores, five manufacturing plants, and forest land in Kentucky with which the company supplied lumber for its operations. The company exported to places as far away as Argentina and Brazil."

The Ellis Island record for the Ernest Sterchi who arrived at NYC on 23 Jan 1923 shows him to be single, aged 32, and a US citizen, whose last place of residence was NYC, travelling from Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. That is the only record of entry to the US for that name, however, and there are no records for Philomena, Jeanette or Bernadette entering the US.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 August 12 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janey.

I just found records for Ernst Sterchi's arrival in Canada in 1924 on the S.S. Canopic. It notes he was 31 (so born c.1893), and details for his mother in Bern (who paid his passage). It is definitely the right guy because his signature on the Canada arrivals papers matches the signature on his marriage, and daughter's baptism.

I think his mother was Rosa Sterchi, who traveled from Bern to Quebec in 1929.

Alexander

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 August 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Well good, that rules out the whole Tennessee clan then, and simplifies things considerably. ;)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Alexander

First of all, I must tell you that I have never researched in Switzerland. I may start one day on my husband's family but until then I am fully occupied with my English, German and American ancestors.

One suggestion would be to join this forum:

http://www.geneal-forum.com/

You can write your post in English. I am a member there and had a quick look for Sterchi but didn't find anything. However, they are very helpful and may be able to put you in the right direction.

This link will help you further and explains the fact that to trace your ancestor you must know from where he originated. The birth place will not necessarily help you further. For instance, my husband was born in St. Gallen but on his father's side, the bmd records would be in Kanton Schwyz, where his father's family originated from:

http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/schweiz-en.html

Another thought - what about placing a post on the Europe forum. There seems to be a few people on there who not only live in Switzerland but have been able to help people tracing their Swiss ancestors.

I wish you good luck and, if I find anything I think might help, I will certainly contact you.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

Thank you for the advice, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Alexander :)