Author Topic: How to unlink from a thread?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline baggygenes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to unlink from a thread?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 18:12 BST (UK) »

Sorry I thought ...

Once I have made a post on a thread

meant in the "new replies" even though they put "unread" as the posts you have participated in show up there once you have replied. 
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
I am the one to be sorry for having confused everyone including myself.  It is the new replies where I would like to be able to disconnect from a thread I have no more interest in.
I do not have email notifications.
A

Offline baggygenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
yeah thats what I thought you meant  .. like I said follow what I put and uncheck the ones you aren't interested in and they won't or shouldn't pop up in new replies any more (it works for me anyway)
If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people. (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry Baggygenes is wrong - until a topic stops receiving replies it will still appear in the list of Unread Replies, as has been mentioned above, whether or not you opt to receive email notifications.

I have just popped up here to add that we restrict the number of pages of replies to really "popular" topics for just this reason. Usually they are locked at 20 pages (or fewer) and a new topic is linked to the old one. This is especially true for the Totally Off Topic board where a joke or lighthearted comment can result in months' worth of replies if we don't call a halt somewhere!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation.
A

Offline baggygenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
Ainslie wants to remove items from New Replies to Your Posts  not unread posts  .. you cannot stop things in unread but you can in new replies ... I have done it when my new replies was getting full up with replies to olympic things

Perhaps Ainslie would like to try my suggestion and see if it works?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that's what I should have typed - "Show new replies to your posts".

Look forward to hearing the outcome of any test though!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)