Author Topic: Leese Family  (Read 1427 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Leese Family
« on: Tuesday 21 August 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hello

My distant relation, Emily Haines b 27/4/1822 bap 26/6/1822 Hertingfordbury, Herts married a William Smith Leese (b 22/1/1807? bap 20/2/1807 St Thomas, Portsmouth, Hants, son of John Smith and Mary Anne Leese, I think) on 25/8/1842 in Hertingfordbury, Herts

I believe that William became or worked for the British Consul in Egypt. His brother Robert Henry also worked for or was the US Consul for Spezia, Italy. He became a US Citizen (he we found in an 1881 C)

Emily later married a George West, British Consul in Suez

We would be most grateful if anyone can assist us in finding more info about Emily and William. We have been unable to find them on any Census or death record. Did they have a family?

SFT456

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leese Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is one baptism that could be of interest -

Emily Leese
baptism 23 Jul 1843, HERTINGFORDBURY, HERTFORD
Father - William Smith Leese
Mother's - Emily
Family Search - C04449-1

JJ

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

HALS has

William Leese of Brentford
Emily Haines of Hertingfordbury

Hertingfordbury 25 Aug 1842

Ref for JJ's find
1843 Q3 Hertford 6 514
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline grosehodge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 20 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there, William Smith Leese had a daughter, Emily. Emily married William Tuck 1873, Suez Consulate.
William Tuck was a superintendent for the Eastern Telegraph Company in Egypt.
William and Emily are back in England for the 1901 census in Scarborough:
William Tuck b. 1837 Stoke Newington
Emily Tuck b.1843 Coles Green, Herts.
Emily d. 1906 Scarborough
William d. 1909  "        "
Probate entries for both.
Currently I am not aware of any children of this marriage.
Currently I believe that William was the nephew of Samuel Smith, foreman of the covered reservoir, Dartmouth Park Hill, Upper Holloway. In Samuel Smith's 1900 will he bequeathed his New River Company presentation watch to his nephew, Willism Tuck. I have ordered the 1906 will of William Tuck in the hope that it will clarify whether this is the right William Tuck.
Following the death of Emily in 1906 William married 1907-ish Elizabeth Anne Sullivan ( b.1865, Ireland). Eliz. A died 1947.

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
I assume they were married in the Suez Consulate, as I believe, her mother Emily's (nee Haines) husband William Smith Leese worked for the British Consulate in Egypt at the time - they m 25.8.1842 Herts

We are keen to know more about him in so far as his job & when he died. He may also have been m previously, either to a Sarah Ellen Manson 15.3.1830 or Sarah Eleanor Cranford or Crawford 18.3.1830, as he was @19 years older that Emily

Emily his wife m (2) a George West (he poss worked for the British Consulate in Suez) as she d 4.4.1901 Scarborough as Emily West. We know nothing about him or when they m. Did they have children. When did he d? (assuming she outlived him - her Estate went to her dau Emily & husband William Tuck)