Author Topic: Canadian War bride WW11 passage?  (Read 9869 times)

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
Canadian War bride WW11 passage?
« on: Wednesday 22 August 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
Trying to find War brides passage to Canada.
Marriage 1943 Staines Middlesex UK.
Irene Doris Batchelor married Canadian soldier  R. M. Gough serving in England during WW11.
I have found her and infant son (Melvyn Richard Gough) returning to England passage Jan 1947. All contact with Canadian family then lost.
I've looked on Ancestry.com and also Find my Past but nothing shows up.
Nothing is known of R. M.  Gough other than family may have had some connections to Browns Shipping.
During  a lady named Edith Kozbal someway connected to the Canadian Gough family arrived at young Melvyn's homes saying that his Canadian family wanted to make contact. Unfortunately Melvyn didn't want anything to do with the family and never took contact details.
Irene and Melvyn are no longer alive but the descendants would like to make contact with the Canadian side of the family.
Can anyone offer advice.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian War bride WW11 passage?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
Irene was only born 1927 so was only 16 when she married Richard Gough.  Was Melvyn born in Canada?

Do you have a copy of the marriage cert showing Richards age and his fathers name and occupation?

Did Irene ever divorce Richard?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 17:33 BST (UK) »
I have managed to find a little more info since posting and I should have some more info in the next week or so.

Young Melvyn Richard Gough....at the moment appears to be born in England Dec 1943, Irene was heavily pregnant.
As a teenager Melvyn changed his name to Baker (his mother's 2 nd husbands name) Later he changed back to  Gough and also Baker.

Melvin's father, R. M. Gough was Canadian and I now know his name was R. M.Gough . He was a gunner stationed in the UK with the Canadian Royal Artillery and later with the Merchant Navy, at this stage no idea of his age or parentage.

Earlier today, I found on Ancestry.com R. M. Gough returning to UK March 1947 sailing with Ministry of Transport as merchant seaman a Car Inspector. R. M.  was to stay at the same address his wife gave on her return Jan 1947. So it does seems as though there was some contact after Irene and Melvyn returned from Canada.
Many thanks Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is no birth in England for Melvyn in 1943/44 - he was aged 3 on the passenger list
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
R M  Gough was born 1921 according to his arrival in Canada 1948 ( basic info only available before signing on for $)
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacquie,

Went onto A*****try and this is what I have found for you.

Irene Doris Batchelor born 20 July 1927 Hammersmith,London Eng
Date of death June 1973 St Pancras,London Eng.In 1952 family knowledge lived  at Chatsworth Road, Brondesbury,Lonon until 1965 and then to Rosedale

Drive,Kingsbury, Middlesex. Occupation Central Middlesex Hospital,London. Hospital receptionist

Married  Richard Maltby Gough  Staines,Middlesex July/Aug/Sept 1943

Looks like she remarried haven't looked up a marriage for her. Her son Melvyn Richard Gough Baker born Dec. 1944 Eng
Mellvyn married  Brenda M Gosing  Mar. 1965 Bromley,Kent
Second marriage  Sept 1979 Dacorum, Hertfordshire name unknown.

Have not checked to see if he had any children from either marriage

Melvyn died  2009 Eng age 65.

Have found no death for Richard M Gough or any other informatio

If you have a GenesReunited membership there is a passenger record for Richard Maltby Gough. departing 14 June 1948

record indicates he was a clerk. I was not able to see the original something wrong with site.

Hope this is some help to you. You can check BMD records on RootswebFree BMD for records in Eng

Lilybell.

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all info.
I hadn't been able to find anything on Find my Past so I'm really pleased and will follow up.

I have put the tree up on Ancestry containing all the info I have, I appear to be the only researcher looking for R. M. Gough. I have seen several passages for R. Gough but at this stage cannot be sure it's the correct Ri. M. Gough but know for certain the 1947 passage to England was his because it's the address Irene gave on her passage.

Hoping to get the wedding cert within a week and as he married whilst he was in the Army, I'm hoping it will give his Service number.

Still can't find Irene Doris's original passage to Canada as a War Bride, anxious to find that as it would give the address she was going to. Hoping that it was R. M.  parents which would be really helpful to find out more of the family.

Many, many thanks for everyones help.
Regards Jackie..

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
http://www.archive.org/stream/prominentpeopleo00stjouoft/prominentpeopleo00stjouoft_djvu.txt

When you open this link use the Control F feature to open a search box and enter R.M. Gough
The information is about Charles Henry Gough who married Mary Maltby in 1917 and had two children - one of which was a R. M. Gough

Debbie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
Debbie what a great find! I looked and looked for a Maltby/Gough connection ...  :D
she was Orr from a previous marriage!! ( and may have remarried in France?)
Mary Ethel Keynes Maltby, born on 13 Nov. 1882 in Newcastle,  baptized on 3 Dec. 1882 in St. Andrew’s Church,  married  Harry Daniel Orr, of Old Town, ME, son of A.L. and E.C. Orr, ...more on page...She graduated in nursing from Montreal General Hospital in 1914, joined the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps,  and went to France in April 1915, working among the wounded soldiers in World War I. She married Charles Henry Gough, an officer, in France, after 1916, but before 1918. He was apparently from Tavernsham, England.
 They returned to Newcastle after the war, where he probably died.  She lived to be very old, and died in the Miramichi Senior Citizens Home in Chatham, NB, on 31 Jan. 1971 She had 2 children by Charles Henry Gough
http://home.earthlink.net/~jamaltby1/maltby_newbrunswick_1.html

Her sign up http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=544637

In 1901...hit links to see 1911 http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=102&highlight=33
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com