Author Topic: Canadian War bride WW11 passage?  (Read 9905 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian War bride WW11 passage?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 20:41 BST (UK) »
Just for info, Melvyn's name is misspelled in the GRO index (I checked the image at Ancestry): GAUGH.

You could add a correction/note to the index at Ancestry (you can include his full middle name and correct surname in the entry, and add notes to give other info), so that anyone else who searches for his birth can find it. When I do that, I include a permanent anonymous online email address in the form
nickname at gmail dot com
so that messages will always reach me. I have had several very useful contacts with distant unknown family members via corrections/notes added to censuses and other records there.

FreeBMD doesn't seem to have transcribed the birth yet but when it does, it will have the incorrect spelling, of course. You can't correct records there if the information is accurately transcribed from the GRO index, but you can add postems -- you could do that on any record, including RMG's birth, etc. Since there is no PM system there, you need to include an email address if you want to be reachable.

Not everybody bothers with trees at Ancestry - it's good to make one's self visible right on the records themselves. ;)

There is no entry on line at Last Post (Canadian Legion, veterans' death notices that come to their attention)  for RM Gough.

EDITED to remove full name of father of Melvyn since later posts show that there is a possibility he is living -- I trust that all others in this thread (including the author of the OP) will do the same!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
I'm absolutely gobsmacked!! Wow, how did you all do so much, it's unbelievable, I can't thank you enough.

It was only the other day my friend asked me to see if I could find anything about her Canadian family history, and what an amazing family it's turned out to be.
My friend is the daughter of the late Melvyn Richard Gough, she's is going to be over the moon, I can't wait to tell her.
Thank you all so much Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
and...maybe you might contact rellies... the funeral home is still running! http://www.bellsmeadows.com/about.html  see business was sold, but they may still know family contacts...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
I'm a little boggled by the Maltby info still, but here's a little sidenote in case you're interested.

In that Maltby family tree info, it mentions: "Richard L. Maltby and Margaret (Weston) Maltby also apparently adopted a daughter: 4. Dorothy Margaret Everton, born ca. 1902".

Her birth was registered in King's Norton Q2 1902 and she was a Home Child:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=68959&&PHPSESSID=4i3q062eimrlq4tceeqf0605f6
Dorothy M Everton
arrived 1908-05-28
Middlemore Homes party
Destination Halifax

She was R M Gough's adopted aunt; neither of his mother's two other siblings had children, so if she had children (surname Archibald) they would have been his only cousins. Her 1922 marriage is here:
http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=96c65576-7748-4363-ba41-34253db5d648
I assume that the witness Mary M Gough was R M Gough's mother (you can look at the actual marriage certificate there).

Didn't find anything else useful on a quick search of the NB archives but you might want to have a look:
http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/Default.aspx?culture=en-CA
There is no remarriage or death for R M Gough up to the cutoff dates.

There are 13 Gough listings in NB at present
http://www.canada411.ca
... and 51 Archibald listings ...

EDITED to remove full name of father of Melvyn since later posts show that there is a possibility he is living -- I trust that all others in this thread (including the author of the OP will do the same!)

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
MILLER, Margaret Constance (GOUGH); 84; ENG>Bay du Vin NB; Times Transcript; 2002-12-7; meuncoll

Most likely the death of Richard's sister

Debbie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Births Dec Q. 1888  Charles Henry G GOUGH   Faversham vol. 2a  p. 844w
Mar Q 1891 for a Constance Edith GOUGH
Births Dec 1897 for a Clarence Arthur ( he married Newcastle, N.B 1920 according to a link...but didn't see it )

also  check census to see if there are more siblings as this may be one...https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJQQ-93R

looks to be his Christening Charles Henry Galliott Gough , father Charles Maurice Gough, mother Edith
( you can find the West Ham marriage with her surname Galliott )
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJW2-7BG

Lots for your friend to go on as far as her ancestry! ( Thanks to Debbie for her fantastic find)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 21:54 BST (UK) »
Here's the fully obituary for the sister:

http://www.inmemoriam.ca/view-announcement-103524-mrs-margaret-c-miller.html

with the big info of where RMG was living at the time of her death in 2002 (in case he stilll is I won't reproduce it here).

There is one Gough listing in the phone book in that location at present, initial not R.

The obit also gives the names and locations of her children and younger generations.

EDITED to remove full name of father of Melvyn since later posts show that there is a possibility he is living -- I trust that all others in this thread (including the author of the OP will do the same!)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Great find! wow...but..Here is where it gets touchy though, as not all family histories reflect the actual past...so we must tread carefully as noted by janey...There are no other names mentioned beside his, so it may easier to try and make contact with a descendant of the sister's family ... here is one:
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qbn/

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 22:11 BST (UK) »
16 Jan 1919 arrival on the Metagama
Chas H Gough 35, b. Eng but in Canada since 1913
Mary Ethel 36 b. Canada
Margaret C. 1 month b. Eng
all headed for Newark N.B.