Author Topic: Alice Ann Ratcliffe  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Alice Ann Ratcliffe
« on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Ok, taking a break from my side and attempting OH side!  With little first hand info.

To start with I have John Willie Downes born c 1878 Lancashire.  Now I know the family lived in Accrington ---
So I managed to find John Willie in George Street Rishton by his birth cert.
Which gave his parents as:
William Henry Downes working as a Collier and Alice Ann formerly Ratcliffe   He was born on 10th June 1878 and registered in Blackburn …..

So  went on to trace these parents and found.
The marriage in 1876 in Haslingden ---
Found absolutely nothing for them being together in 1881.
BUT the 1891 shows them – but is transcribed badly. RG12/355

It has William Hy Downes age 36  ‘son in law’ and John W Downes son age 13.
But the preview page shows John W as Taylor.   
Then checking this record, enabled me to find that Alice Ann’s Mother – Now down as Ann Taylor (nee Entwistle)…. Had married again due to the death of first husband James Ratcliffe.
Have checked and sourced relevant details for this death and her 2nd Marriage.
I came to this conclusion as this census shows her with a step daughter Agnes Taylor a son George Ratcliffe aged 18 and a son John Taylor aged 11 this does mean she was having children up to 44/45…..  I checked the next page to see if Alice Ann (Ratcliffe) Downes had been carried over …. But NO.

She seems to have disappppppeared 
There doesn’t seem to be a census for her living with husband and child.  They married in 1876 and with John Willie born in 1878… I trailed the 1881… But Nothing ……..so searched for a death and cannot find one!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this making any sense   ……. Or am I not explaining very well.  Sorry. 

So Run DOWN (lol) 

John Willie Downes born George St. Rishton 1878 son of William Henry and Alice Ann who married in 1876.

She is maiden name Ratcliffe.

And I can only find trace in 1891 of Father and son..

I know John Willie goes on to marry Mary Jane O’Hara circa 1897 and they live in Haslingden… I attempted to sort this some time back.

But need to sort the above FIRST…

thanks in anticipation

xin   ;)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Ann Ratcliffe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Alice Ann Ratcliffe baptised 13th August 1853 at St Bartholomew Great Harwood,Lancs
parents James and Jane Ratcliffe ( could Jane be Ann ?...have one in our family named the same ? )
born 4th July 1853
abode  Backside
occ factory hand

source - Great Harwood Historical Society
I have been to Accrington and Great Harwood is on the approach road to Accrington

could this be a possible for your Alice Ann Ratcliffe ?

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify...my wifes deceased aunty Jane - was known as aunty ann ?....so could Jane become Ann (Taylor ) Ratcliffe
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that .... interesting idea, will see if I can find more.

Xin

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
Doesn`t look that convincing
dec qtr 1853
James Ratcliffe to ANN Entwistle.....

Alice Ann b july 4th 1853.....so - they married anything from 8 to 16 weeks AFTER she was born - and ANN is given as christian name....so I would say that baptism of august 1853 probably is not your Alice Ann Ratcliffe....worth a try though

allan

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
Found another birth 1859 exact same name.  so thats a maybe......

June 1859 8e 130

haslingden.   

xin

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
I can't find Alice Ann's death, but I followed the censuses back and this is what I found
1891 Accrington Ann Taylor 56 Agnes stepdaughter 19 Lancs George E. Ratcliffe son 19 Acc John Taylor 11 Acc Clara J Forrest boarder 21 William Hy Downs s in law 36 collier Blackburn John W 13 Rishton

Following Ann Taylor, in 1881 John Taylor 49 joiner Lancaster , Ann 44 Worcs Dudley Ellen 10 Lancaster Agnes 8 Lancaster John 9m Acc Matilda Ratcliffe 20 John w. 18 spinner Manchester Margaret 15 Sylvia 12 Esther E 10 George E 7 all b Manchester

1871 Ann Ratcliffe widow cotton rover ?Yorks, Dudley Alice Ann 14 Matilda 11 John W 9 m
Margaret 6 Sylvia 3 Eliza Esther 7m Accrington. All the children b Manchester except the last one.

1861 William Ratcliffe mechanic 26 Ann ?York, Dudley

William Ratcliffe married Ann Bridge Manchester St Philip 1855
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 12 12:21 BST (UK) »
1861 Manchester William Ratcliffe mechanic 26 Manchester, Ann 24 Dudley, Alice Ann 3 Manchester Matilda 4m Manchester Esther Bridge 17 Dudley.
Cannot find Alice Ann's birth on Lancs BMD but Ancestry has birth of Alice Ann in Manchester 1857.
I checked Downes/ Ratcliffe marriages on Lancs BMD using Soundex and there was no other listed, which is interesting because I checked births on LancsBMD and found the following, all Downes, mother Ratcliffe:-
1875 Christiana Accrington died 1876
1878 John William Great Harwood and James Edward GH. The latter died 1878
1881 Joseph Accrington
1883 William Henry Accrington
1885 James Eatough died 1905

There is an Alice Ann Ratcliffe marrying a James Sagar Great Harwood, 1891 RG12 3375 86 25 and 1881 RG11 4177 132 31
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 August 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
uuuhm   that sounds interesting... if a little confusing for this brain.   I will go in to the closet for a while and study 

thank you

xin