Author Topic: Help with birth - Charles Alexander Burleigh Robson  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Phil Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with birth - Charles Alexander Burleigh Robson
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 September 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
To Cumbrianangel. I have sent message to you about the "Robsons"

Offline Ellabertie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 November 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I am the friend mentioned in the original post in 2012. Alexander Robson was I believe my great uncle. His father my great grandfather. Alexander has his name on the memorial at finchampstead in Berkshire.
  It would be great to swap stories with you. Was very moved by your story. Alexander’s mum Alice used to live in finchampstead, after her death her daughter Violet used to live in the house. She was governess to the king of Sudan’s son. The house was left empty for months at a time and was broken into and we believe the any medals were stolen. I do have the original paper work of how he won the military cross.

Best regards
Mark

Offline Cumbrianangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 November 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark, I was thrilled to read your message just a few minutes ago and on such a emotional day of course. 'Alexander' has always been referred to as Charles to me, as you know he was my mums cousin and her fiancé. Over the years I have become more and more interested in Charles and his family. They weren't mentioned much but I was aware that my mum had been engaged to him. He was 5 years old than mum. I do know that his mother, Alice, was very much against their engagement and it was obvious that my mum and her older sister didn't like her - or even the name Alice! I'd gathered Charles had died in the war and that mum had to return her 'beautiful sapphire ring'. It wasn't until after she passed away in 2010 that I found a letter to her from Charles written 6 months before he died. I didn't start my family research until after my dad died in 1996. By the time I received the death certificate for Charles I suspect mum was starting to suffer from mild dementia. When I showed her the certificate she just looked at me and said 'he did die then?'. I desperately wish I'd asked why she'd said that but didn't want to upset her. My mum sister passed away a few months after mum but she told me 'Charles was sweet on me but I was already married'. Yet again I didn't like to ask questions and now there is no one to ask.
I have always wondered what happened to both Charles's and his fathers medals than a chap on the forum posted to say he was researching their lives as he has the medals. Maybe they were stolen then sold at auction? I deeply wish they had stayed within the family.
I won't write more now as it's getting rather late. Do you have a photo of Charles? I have a portrait size one of him in uniform that he gave to mum and also a few family snaps.
A few years ago a chap from one of the forums very kindly sent me copies of war diaries relating to Charles's father and also some details regarding Charles's service record. He collects medals and said that he had ones for a private from Charles's battalion and there was a strong possibility that Charles's led him into battle at Monte Cassino. He wrote 'a very brave man'. I am so proud of both him and his father. So far I have found 9 other family lost in the 2 wars and I suspect there may be more as my research carries on......
Thank you SO much for getting in touch. It's amazing to be in touch with another member of Charles's family 😊
Best wishes, Shirley

Offline Ellabertie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 November 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley,
             Wow, sorry about your loss, what a touching story, I have 1 picture of both men, I will ask my mum tomorrow, I’m sure she will have a few! Would be great if you could e-mail me.

Best regards
Mark

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.