Author Topic: Hambley In Holyhead  (Read 3689 times)

Offline troubled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hambley In Holyhead
« on: Thursday 23 August 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
I am interested to find any connections to the surname Hambley in Holyhead.  There was a William Hambley born 1816 a labourer who came from Lanreath Cornwall that we think was the start of the Hambley name in Holyhead.

Can anybody help?
Costley,Woodhouse,Henderson(Liverpool)Hambley(Holyhead)Murphy(Holyhead)John Thomas(Oswestry)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Hambley In Holyhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 12 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat ;D

It might be worth your while to narrow down your searches and focus on who you actually know in that region. This would be somebody who passed away in the last 50 or so years and then look for their ancestors.

Don't try and take too big a leap and the answers will flow more freely. I am in Australia so you have me on Holyhead so its wise to refine that part of your search and thereby getting more people interested. Also your family ties to that person, GG Aunt or GG grandfather and so on. Use Capitals for their Surnames always it is good Genealogy and makes finding them a bit better.
I have seen a name like Arthur John.

Holyhead looks a little divorced from the mainland :o Anglesey only had 4 four Hambleys in the 1871 census and 8 in the 1881. But these are "Wildcard" searches and only show certain people.

Perhaps if you give us a person to track back we can help.

Neil in OZ ;D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it at the top of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 12 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Troubled.
                   I have a Hambley family living at Holyhead during the 1911 census. Father was William F. Hambley, Born in Cornwall in 1843. His wife was Elisabeth, B1846 and they had 6 children, 4 sons and 2 daughters. I have the details should you need them.
 I remember my mother talking either to, or about, a Mrs Hambley so the Hambley family must have still been in Holyhead until at least the 1940's.
 Hope this helps in some way!
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline troubled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Viking666

I have names of 13 children born to William Francis and Elizabeth Hambley(Jones) M 1864 . One of the 13 was James Charles Hambley who married in 1898 a Julia Murphy. They had 12 Children one was my father James Hambley. I am looking back on the Julia Murphy side of my tree as her husband was Peter Murphy from Warren point Louth Ireland. But I may start another post to try to get info on him.

Thanks for help on this one
Costley,Woodhouse,Henderson(Liverpool)Hambley(Holyhead)Murphy(Holyhead)John Thomas(Oswestry)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again Troubled.
  James Charles and Julia lived during the 1911 census, at 18, Well Street, Holyhead. (Now demolished).
I have a Julia Murphy, B1875 (not 1880) at Louth, Ireland with a father Peter Murphy and a mother named as Mary Laracy ... shots in the dark where Ireland is concerned but it may help.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline troubled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 August 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
First can I thank Neil Todd, Rambler& Viking for their inputs so far.

Peter Murphy Born 1846 D1916 married Mary Ann Williams who came from Holyhead in 1870 we think. It must be hard to trace this name in Ireland.

As the Ireland connection is holding me up now I have switched to the Roots Chat section Louth.  I hope gentlemen you can still give me help in my post there.