Author Topic: Mary Roberts/Valentia Island  (Read 1996 times)

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary Roberts/Valentia Island
« on: Friday 24 August 12 08:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth of Mary Roberts. About 1863, near Cahirciveen, Valentia Island. She was the daughter of William Roberts (a farmer) and Lucy Connell of Skibbereen Cork. All the other children of the family were born in Skibbereen.  Family information says that she was a secretary to the Knights of Kerry, but I am not sure if this is an association, or if she worked for someone privately. She was not the first born of the family, so would like to find out why she is the only one born in Kerry. Thankyou.  Moya

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Roberts/Valentia Island
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Kerry parish records on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 09:20 BST (UK) »
probable marriage of Robert and Lucy/Lucinda from extracted civil records before 1864, so non-Catholic, or possibly registry office :

Groom: William Roberts / age 22 (c1832)
  Bride: Lucy Connell / age 20 (c1834)
  Marriage date: 05 Oct 1854
  Marriage place: Caheragh, Cork, Ire
  Groom's father: Alexander Roberts
  Bride's father: Richard Connell

and later children for William and Lucy in civil records :

Roberts /  Connell births

I had a quick look at the IrishGenealogy website, and didn't see any CofI records for the surname Roberts in Co. Kerry...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline moyawarr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:51 BST (UK) »
Mary's parents were married in Caheragh Parish church (COI) in 1854. I have traced her sisters Deborah, (1861) Bessie (1864) Lucy (1866) Kathleen (1869). Only Mary remains elusive, although she is recorded on Deborahs marriage cert as a witness in London 1884 (signed as Mary Ellen Roberts). There seems rather a big gap between the marriage date of 1854 and the birth of Deborah in 1861. (this date taken from marriage cert, couldn't find a baptism record). There were 3 sons born but can't find them either, one of them believed to be named Jack who ran away to sea and ended up in New Zealand, but I'm still working on this one.  Moya

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 August 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
The IrishGenealogy website has just RC records for South West Co. Cork - none for CofI, it does include most of the available CofI records for Kerry.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Mary's parents were married in Caheragh Parish church (COI) in 1854. I have traced her sisters Deborah, (1861) Bessie (1864) Lucy (1866) Kathleen (1869). Only Mary remains elusive, although she is recorded on Deborahs marriage cert as a witness in London 1884 (signed as Mary Ellen Roberts). There seems rather a big gap between the marriage date of 1854 and the birth of Deborah in 1861. (this date taken from marriage cert, couldn't find a baptism record). There were 3 sons born but can't find them either, one of them believed to be named Jack who ran away to sea and ended up in New Zealand, but I'm still working on this one.  Moya

You could try the Valentia Island messge board - There is an Andy O sullivan who has done a lot of research on Valentia Island families so may be able to help.
website http://valentiaisland.yuku.com/forums/2/Genealogy
Regards
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary