Author Topic: Townlands of Ballyvlin and Keeloge  (Read 6843 times)

Offline AEG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Townlands of Ballyvlin and Keeloge
« on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:18 BST (UK) »
The information I have indicates that members of my Egan family were born in the townlands of Ballyvlin [Ballyolin] and in Keeloge [Keelogue].  Both are in the civil parish of Wheery or Killagally according to Lee's Offaly Through Time.  I know approximately where Ballyvlin is and that it was on the King estate.  Can someone tell me where Keeloge is in relation to Ballyvlin and about how far away?  I'm interested in knowing about the family's life before they emigrated in 1893.  (Google Maps is a wonderful invention, but it doesn't deal well with townlands -- at least not for me.)   Any information appreciated!
Lincolnshire:  Hart, Wilkinson
Nottinghamshire:  Cragg, Merrill, Welch
Yorkshire (East Riding):  Brown, Heward
Offaly: Caheron, Devery, Egan, Stanton
Westmeath:  Flaherty, Hines, Horan, Kerrigan

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Townlands of Ballyvlin and Keeloge
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 12 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,,Try searching on the OSI Map Irelnd site,,,you can enter places in the search box on the top right,,and change to different historical maps below that on the bottom right,,,i entered Ballyvlin and Keelogue as a search and found them.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,613127,724981,5,10
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 12 12:08 BST (UK) »
Ballyvlin and Keeloge townlands are about 45 km apart.

Ballyvlin, as shown on the link posted by gortonboy, is in the north of the county and about 2km east of the town of Ferbane.

Keeloge is located in the south west of the county close to the county border and about 6km from Roscrea in Co. Tipperary.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 12 12:23 BST (UK) »

Offline AEG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 12 03:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  The map link  is very cool.  I see Ballyvlin in the center and then down and to the right past the bend in that dead-end road, there's Keeloge.  They look adjacent.  And above Ballyvlin, I see the Ballylin House and I know Thomas Egan was a herd on that estate.  So I guess this is most likely to be the places I'm looking for.  Again, thank you.

Offline b707fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 August 13 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I lived in Ballyvlin for 11 years from the time I as born there, at Home. It is approx 750 metres from Keelogue, I passed it every day coming home from school and my best friend lived in Keelogue. So, anybody telling you that Keelogue is 45 KMs from Ballyvlin is talking absolute rubbish.  Keelogue was such a part of our lives that, my sister who Lives in Co. Kildare, actually  has an official postal address ovf Keelogue. I can tell you the names of everybody who lives there if you wish.

Offline b707fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 August 13 02:23 BST (UK) »
Ballyvlin was originally part of the Ballylin estate of the King family. After Independence, when the Land Commission divided up the large estates of Ireland, Ballyvlin was born. Ballylin still exists and caused plenty of confusion over numerous years as to which area is which. My family had countless paintings  of the original Ballylin and of the King family and my grandfather worked for the Kings. Ballyvlin and Ballylin are two distinct and seperate areas of Ferbane and should not be confused with each other.

If anybody needs any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me. ( As you can guess, I'm fairly passionate about this)

Offline AEG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this.  I hadn't been back on RootsChat for a long time and just saw your posts.  My family who lived in Ballyvlin were Thomas Egan and Margaret Caheron (Kaheeran).  Looking at birth records, they moved over to Keelogue around 1877.  In 1893 they emigrated to Hartford Connecticut.  I didn't see anyone I recognized as relatives still in Keelogue in the 1901 census.  Although, Margaret's 1916 obit did say that she had a sister still in Ireland, Mrs. John Kenna (Keena?), but no specific place was mentioned.  Thomas's father, John Egan, died in Ballyvlin on 14 Mar 1876.  There's a family story about Thomas having to go in to town to register his son's birth and his his father's death at the same time.  If I ever win the lottery I hope to visit Ireland and walk around Ballyvlin and Keelogue.  Thank you again for taking an interest.