Author Topic: Elizabeth Burrell or Bradley death c. 1824  (Read 9384 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Burrell or Bradley death c. 1824
« on: Saturday 25 August 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the death of an Elizabeth Burrell or Elizabeth Bradley, between 1822 and 1826, in Colston Bassett. I'm not sure which of the two surnames she would be under as her husband seems to have used either. I know she had a child in 1822 and the husband remarried in 1826.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Burrell or Bradley death c. 1824
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric, I think this is her:

Colston Bassett burial
2 Jul 1823 - Elizabeth BURRILL, of Colston

Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
There are also these burials at Colston which may be of interest -

13 Aug 1824 - Mary Ann BURRILL, of Colston
25 Dec 1826 - James BURRELL, Inf., of Colston
31 May 1831 - Ann BURRILL, Inf., of Colston
06 Nov 1853 - Elizabeth BRADLEY, of Colston Bassett

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 August 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for the replies. Those would appear to be the burials I was looking for. Thomas had 2 wives, both called Elizabeth and the children's burials are the ones that I hadn't been able to find in the censuses.
Thomas seems to have chaged his name from Burrell to Bradley and back again as he felt like it!!!!!!!

Can I be cheeky and ask if you could find me Thomas's burial. He is in the 1861 census as Thomas Bradley aged 62 but not in 1871. There are two deaths on the GRO a Thomas Burrill in Dec qtr 1862 and a Thomas Bradley in June qtr 1861 both registered in Bingham, which is the registration district for Colston Bassett, and I don't know which is "my" Thomas.

Thanks again
Eric

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 12 07:15 BST (UK) »
I think your man is the Thomas Burrill who died in 1862, but it's hard to be sure. The corresponding burials are:

Plumtree burial
13 Jun 1861 - Thomas BRADLEY, age 52, of Normanton

Radcliffe-on-Trent burial
17 Dec 1862 - Thomas BURRELL, of Radcliffe on Trent (no age in index)

Radcliffe is close to Colston Bassett, but you would really need the death certificate to be sure. Alternatively, someone local may be able to check the Radcliffe burial register to see if an age is given.

Alexander

Offline LH35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
Im going to  both the Churchs today  the ruin of St Marys and St John the Divine  in CB, I will have a look round the  graves stones to see if there is  any  of the names you mentioned if it is of help to you .

Edit
Went to one of the churches and found nothing on the gravestones for either name .
wiltshire/wilsher,/Hartley/Holmes
Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire/yorkshire/Scotland

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 12 22:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

Alexander
Thomas was born about 1800, so the Thomas Bradley buried in Normanton would be too young and as you say it looks as if the Thomas Burrill buried in Radcliffe on Trent is the more likely.

Thanks for looking at the gravestones. Thomas was an agricultural labourer so I suppose it rather unlikely that he would have a gravestone.

Thanks again

Eric

Offline Kenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I only came across this thread yesterday, and am delighted as it appears to have solved a brickwall in my research that has troubled me for some time.
Harriet Bradley, recorded in the 1841 census, age 4, living with Thomas and Elizabeth Bradley, and in the 1851 census, age 14, the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Bradley, would appear to have become the Harriet Burrell, age 22 (father Thomas Burrell) who married Thomas Chapman on 25 Dec 1860 at East Bridgford St. Peter's.
Thomas and Harriet Chapman were my great-great-grandparents.
I'd be grateful for any further information on the Burrell/Bradley family, and particularly any explanation for the name change.

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 December 14 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to RootsChat. This is going to strain my grey cells!!!!!.This was part of research I did for a friend. When I started he told me he had been told that his surname should be Bradley and not Burrell
I couldn't get any further back than the Thomas you mention. The 1841 census says he was born in Nottinghamshire, the 1851 gives his birthplace as Scampton Lincs and the 1861 says he was born in Lincoln. He was born about 1800. I couldn't find a likely contender anywhere. He married twice, first to Elizabeth Gunn in 1821. They had one daughter who died when she was 2. The mother Elizabeth Gunn died and was buried 2 July 1823. He then married Elizabeth Whittaker in Leicestershire in July 1826. They had 7 children including Harriet.

I have no explanation for the name changes. It may have something to do with illegitimacy but what is confusing is that not only did Thomas keep changing his surname, but several of his sons and even their sons carried on doing it!!!!

I did find one entry in a Lincolnshire parish record which had a "Burwell pronounced Burrell"!!!!

I'll have another look through my notes and come back to you if I find anything else.

Eric