Author Topic: Macdonell's, Knoydart, 1773  (Read 17645 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Macdonell's, Knoydart, 1773
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 April 13 06:52 BST (UK) »
I am currently trying to find out more about Knoydart and hopefully go there in 2016.

I go to Knoydart fairly regularly. If you need any advice on how to travel there or where to stay, or any general questions, I’ll try to help. Just send me a PM.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 April 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong and I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs but I have a feeling there may be some confusion creeping into the translation of patronymics here and there that could throw out the father to son succession. It is confusing as there are Rorys/Ruairidhs in the family but Iain or John Roy is neither Iain son of Rory nor John Rory but Iain Ruadh, that is red (haired) John. Good hunting one and all. Angus

Offline Evelyn Goulet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 October 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Stacey, I can help if you still need it. Like Tal I am a descendant and know the history and ancestry (as recorded in Glengarry County) well. Take care.

Offline gebert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
There is a very good book called 'The People of Glengarry', Highlanders in Transition, 1745 -1820 written by Marianne McLean. It is published by McGill-Queen's University Press.
It gives a lot of detail about the McDonnells from The Scottish west coast & who were cleared from there to Glengarry, Ontario.
Good luck, George B
Bertram, Berwickshire, Gateshead/Newcastle/Durham, Australia & Canada
Campbell, Skye & East Lothian
McWilliams,Newcastle
Glass, Dunbar area

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 June 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Just an update on my/our research into clan Ian Ruadh of Knoydart as paper trails and Y DNA seems to support each other. 

I started using genetics in 2010 to assist with my MacDonald paternal ancestry. Up until this point I had my line traced back to my 5x Great Grandfather Martin MacDonald who was born in 1755 and passed away in 1836 in Knoydart, Nova Scotia (the area he settled in 1785, which he is attributed to naming after where he emigrated from in Scotland). The results of my first Y DNA test indicated that my paternal line was not of the Clan Donald Chiefly lines and I would have to search elsewhere for the origins of direct paternal line. Overlapping with the timeframe which I received my results I became aware of Martin MacDonald (1755-1836) being included in genealogical charts from the Glengarry, Ontario area of Canada. Further to the knowledge of these charts it was also discovered that Martin’s son John MacDonald died in the Glengarry, Ontario area in 1858 where his death was recorded by the St Columbian Roman Catholic Church and also by a priest (Father John MacDonald) who kept genealogical records of Scottish emigrants. In Father John’s diary, the death of John MacDonald records him as coming from Nova Scotia and being the son of Martin, son of Donald, son of John, son of Angus.  Heading back to the genealogical charts …. Although the charts listed the names of ancestors, genealogists (both professional and amateur) where unable to answer basic questions pertaining to Clan Iain Ruadh, such as an overall history of the Clan, timeline or geographic origins. One major issue with the charts showed the Clan Chiefs to be of the Haplogroup R1A, where I was R1B. After playing around with this idea of descending from Clan Iain Ruadh, I eventually wrote off my Family’s inclusion onto these charts. I believed at the time Martin MacDonald’s mentioned as a mistake and/or possibly fabricated and continued my searching for my paternal ancestry elsewhere, even though I did have paternal Y DNA matches from the Glengarry area of Canada (with genealogies not showing a linkage to my paternal line).

My belief of not belonging to Clan Iain Ruadh was put to rest in February 2017 when I received an email from Garry MacDonell Garry had a Y DNA match with me and upon further testing we were able to determine we were both positive for the SNP BY154, which indicated a fairly recent (in genealogical terms) common paternal ancestor. Garry and I had not shared any type of research, however both of our Families had traditions of descending from Clan Iain Ruadh. Any remote disbelieve of descending from Clan Iain Ruadh melted away upon receiving a gravestone picture from Garry of the Auchterawe Roman Catholic burial ground in Inverness, Scotland. The gravestone belongs to Garry’s 3x Great Grandfather John MacDonell, on the gravestone (which was erected by John MacDonell’s son Captain Ewen Macdonell) “..John MacDonell of Clan Iain Ruadh..”. This connection was the motivation I needed to keep my research going.

My research had another two breaks with two testers from the Glengarry, Ontario area who had family traditions and paper trails of paternal descent from Clan Ian Ruadh. Both testers have matched closely to myself and other persons who are BY154+ and have genealogies that actually appear to fit into the older genealogical charts from the Glengayy, Ontario area I previously mentioned. One of these tester's ancestors (a father and son) where Loyalists who petitioned for Land in the Glengarry area. In their petitions, the son Duncan McDonell states that he was “from Glen Morrison, Late of Tryon County, N.Y. Province…came to Canada in 1780”.  The father, John McDonell states at the time of the petition he was from “…Lot 17, Cornwall Township, N. Johnson, Late of
Tryon County, N. York Province…”

This is an area for further research, perhaps the family when in Scotland relocated from Knoydart to Glenmoriston, however it is most likely that the was originally from Glenmoriston. Important to note that there is a Clan Iain Ruadh MacDonald Sept that originated in Glenmoriston.

While I have had the opportunity to connect with my MacDonald kin and have been forming a picture of to whom and how we are related to one another through a combination of traditional paper trails and advanced Y DNA testing, there is still much more research to be done.

Offline Gus58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Angus McDonald - McDonald of Clanranald
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 September 21 12:16 BST (UK) »
We are McDonald of Knoydart. My fathers (d:2017) Gedcom is SG7561391 and his R1a Clan Donald code is &JQNOQ. Our ancestors came out here to Australia in 1838 aboard the ship “William Nicol”. My fathers closest Big Y match is a proven McDonald of Knoydart descendant. Mr Kevin Eugene MacDonald (d:2020). His ancestors were from the Sandfield farms near Glenelg. They sailed for Canada around 1786 aboard the ship “McDonald”. Some believe the farms were part of the Barrisdale estate. Sandfield features prominently in his relatives names. His Clan Donald DNA Project code is &4QIZ5. We are hard to trace as the clan was disbanded in the early 1600s for excessive raiding and where they dispersed to is anyones guess.

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 September 21 13:15 BST (UK) »
We are McDonald of Knoydart. My fathers (d:2017) Gedcom is SG7561391 and his R1a Clan Donald code is &JQNOQ. Our ancestors came out here to Australia in 1838 aboard the ship “William Nicol”. My fathers closest Big Y match is a proven McDonald of Knoydart descendant. Mr Kevin Eugene MacDonald (d:2020). His ancestors were from the Sandfield farms near Glenelg. They sailed for Canada around 1786 aboard the ship “McDonald”. Some believe the farms were part of the Barrisdale estate. Sandfield features prominently in his relatives names. His Clan Donald DNA Project code is &4QIZ5. We are hard to trace as the clan was disbanded in the early 1600s for excessive raiding and where they dispersed to is anyones guess.

Hello Angus,

I am very familiar with Mr Kevin Eugene MacDonald's Family line.  I am a 2nd to 4th cousin match with him, however the match is not on the direct paternal line.  Have you tested with Family Finder through FTDNA?

Offline Gus58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Angus McDonald - McDonald of Clanranald
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 September 21 13:37 BST (UK) »

Hello Angus,

I am very familiar with Mr Kevin Eugene MacDonald's Family line.  I am a 2nd to 4th cousin match with him, however the match is not on the direct paternal line.  Have you tested with Family Finder through FTDNA?

Did you run my fathers gedmatch I supplied Peter?

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 September 21 13:42 BST (UK) »

Did you run my fathers gedmatch I supplied Peter?

Is Kevin your Father?  If so, nice to meet you.  I am not on GEDMATCH, however the FTDNA database (company Kevin tested with) shows the match. (PS- did you test as well? With FTDNA?)