Author Topic: WYCHERLEY and WENLOCK and HOLLAND  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WYCHERLEY and WENLOCK and HOLLAND
« on: Sunday 26 August 12 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hoping to make contact with anyone researching these family names near Shrewsbury Shropshire.  In particular there were possibly two William WENLOCKs born about 1805 one of whom probably married Sarah WYCHERLEY, the other probably the father of Margaret Ann WENLOCK who married Richard HOLLAND.  Trying to sort out which is which. 
Any help greatly appreciated.
Jennifer

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WYCHERLEY and WENLOCK and HOLLAND
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it at the top of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rambler, I'll do that.
Jennifer

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jennifer - re Wycherley ....Wycherley family came here to Garston ,Liverpool in 1880`s and are still here ..
check the 1881 census because they may have been there by then ...Little Drayton  was their origin ..
and there descendant was a man known as " Billy Fury " the singer - who was born William Wycherely from the Garston branch of the family ...so , I know they came from Little Drayton ...if you do make any connection to that family , let me know and I will put you in touch with the Garston clan ...
good luck
allan
added...I have just checked...Amelia Wycherley was the first one here in Garston
born 1866 in Little Drayton ......how far is Little Drayton from Shrewsbury ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
just checked....15 miles
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you G, looks like there might have been a diaspora from Shropshire in the mid-late 1800s - maybe economic conditions forced this.  I think I will need to get a good map of Shrewsbury and surrounds and start plotting family members.   I would almost guarantee there is some common ancestor for the Shropshire Wycherleys so an interesting project somewhere along the line.  My connection is Robert Holland, son of Richard Holland and Margaret Ann nee Wenlock.  Margaret the daughter of William Wenlock.  Mary and William Wycherley are witnesses to marriage of Richard Holland and Margaret Ann Wenlock, and also witness the marriages of at least two of Robert's half-siblings from an earlier marriage.  It is thought that a William Wenlock married a Sarah Wycherley and to confuse things there are many William Wenlocks in the records.  Robert HOLLAND became a sailor and ended settling and marrying in South Australia.  He is my great grandfather.  Have heard of Billy Fury but don't know much about his music so I'll make a date with youTube. 

Many thanks,
Jennifer