Author Topic: QUESTION: Did 'Huguenots' settle in Scotland?  (Read 63639 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION: Did 'Huguenots' settle in Scotland?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 November 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
For Trishmac, Black, in his surnames gives the names ending in o down to "laziness of utterance" most should end in ch!......Skoosh.

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 February 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
My husband's family  TRIM believe they descend from Flemish refugees (probably Huguenots) who fled from religious persecution to DEVON.  They were LACE MAKERS, and Devon Trims it seems were involved in making the lace for Queen Victoria's wedding dress.  Doe anyone have any information on the Trims, please?

Offline lightarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.  I am descended from Scottish Huguenots and I've just found out! Glad to  find this discussion. Is there anyone out there?

My name is Lightbody often spelled Lichtbodie and we were by family tradition lacemakers in Lanark, Scotland and latterly we are on record as Clockmakers for several generations.  The original name was thought to be Lichtenberger but I am open to suggestions on that.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello lightarch ~ welcome to Rootchat

I'm here but I'm still not sure if my ancestors were Huguenots or not  :-\

Would you like to share with us your Huguenot names, dates  and locations :)

Gadget

My bit:

I have possible Hugenots in Dumfriesshire around that time, if it's any help  :)

Still verifying my descent but they were definitely there from early 1700s. Weavers in Nithsdale.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lightarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, good to hear from you.  I'll put together some names etc in next 24 hours  All tyhe best  John

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 27 June 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

First of all I don’t really know a lot about Huguenots, I have done odd pieces of investigation but it’s not really my field. I did however come across an interesting document a few months ago and thought it may be useful. It does not mention Huguenots however it is a “Registers of Aliens” in Edinburgh in 1794 so if there were Huguenots in Edinburgh one would presume they will be in it. There are certainly many people from France, are they Huguenots?

Anyway it’s a PDF on the edinburgh.gov.uk website here’s the link, click the top PDF “Aliens_Registers_Index”: http://events.edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/attachments/internet/council/council_business/city_archives/collections%20and%20indexes

Hope this is of some use.

Emma

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 June 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  Two of us researching, Clazey and its many spellings have been finding individuals in Paris, Cambray, and Picardie and while some can be translated...others not!  I have muddled through between the Latin I took years ago and the Spanish!

sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline jfx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Re (Huguenot) Francies / Frances / Francis family in Ayr and Wigtownshire Scotland, who may have been Huguenots.  The Scotland part is established, but I have not yet found records linking them to France (possibly Alsace region). 

For Scottish records, I have a marriage record, 6 Jan 1798 of John Frances and Katharine McKissock in Ayr, Scotland.  (From family oral history, he was captain of a merchant vessel and died at sea.)  Other parts of family oral history turned out to be true, e.g., I heard the family was from Ayr, which I was able to prove.  I'm thinking about how to verify that the Francies family originally came from France and were Huguenots. 

I have birth records for some of John Frances' children, who were born in Irvine parish Ayr
  John K. Francies 1798,
  William McKessock Frances 1800,
  Hugh McKessock 1802,
  Mary Francis 1805,
  and James Francies born in Wigtownshire 1807. 

Other leads, we have references to John's father, Sir Samuel Francies, and a crest drawing.  The crest includes a bird that to me looks like a dove, which I gather is the bird on the Huguenot cross.  Am looking for independent records for Sir Samuel, and trying to gather more information on the crest and to see if an heraldic expert can pull some facts from it, e.g., if originally from France or Scotland.  Suggestions / insights appreciated! 

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 September 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
This seems to be a good-going thread, so I thought I would join in!

I had ancestors in Kelso called Stewart, and for a long time I was content to have traced them back to the early 1700s, but then I took a notion to try and push the family-tree back a bit further. The Kelso records are very full, and I soon managed to get back to a James Stewart and Nanc Companion who were married there in 1609. Nanc or Nans is a short form of Nancy, often used in Scotland for Agnes.

Companion is an unusual surname, and when I checked on Scotlandspeople I found that it's very rare in Scotland, disappearing here after the death of Barbara Companion in Montrose in 1740. But then I googled it and found that Compagnon is a common surname in France and both Compagnon and Companion are common in French Canada. So I suspect that those Companions in Scotland were Huguenots. Nanc Companion may have started as an Agnès Compagnon.

Of course, there were French-speakers in Scotland long before the Huguenots, by which I mean the Anglo-Norman aristocracy and their followers who were invited up here by King David I in the 12th century. It's well known that many Scottish surnames like Fraser, Gordon, Bruce, Hay, Melville, Lessels etc. are of French origin. What is not so easy to establish is whether or not a modern Fraser or Bruce is directly descended from a Frenchman of that name, or from an ordinary peasant who adopted the laird's name when surnames became compulsory for taxation purposes. The new science of genetic genealogy (which starts with a simple cheek swab!) has been applied to some of the Highland clans and on average between 20% and 30% of McDonalds, McKenzies etc. tested turn out to be genetically related to the current clan chief who bears their surname.

I also had ancestors called Pettigrew who were Ulster Presbyterians in the Belfast area, and who moved to Scotland in the 1830s. I suspect their ancestors were Scots. Pettigrew or Petticrew is a very old name in Lanarkshire, and seems to be from French 'petit' and 'cru', "small growth", maybe a nickname for a small man, like Tiny or Shorty. My research into the Pettigrews in medieval Scotland has shown a strong pattern of connection and relationship to the Hamiltons, the feudal lords of Lanarkshire, who themselves were Anglo-Normans. I suspect (I'm always suspecting!) that they brought the Pettigrews with them to Scotland in their wake.

Harry