Author Topic: Honora  (Read 13016 times)

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honora
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I have now found a Captain John Marlow who was in Malta.

http://website.lineone.net/~remosliema/regiments.htm

I found a free PDF on the National Archives for Officers of Royal Artillery. Found John Marlow but can't read the date of birth, no mention of wife or children. Google books has information too which might mean dates are different John Marlow.

I read again and it says died 1848, so it is the wrong John Marlow. Narrows it down a bit.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Deaths Sep 1837 (>99%)
MARLOW William Basford 15 277
Deaths Mar 1838 (>99%)
Marlow Eliza Basford 15 309

That is district which covers Nottingham. Listed at GRO as mother maiden name on birth certificate as Whalley.

I might order the PDFs on the chance that they had children later on. I searched for children before 1841 census and the above two looked possible.

Can Henrietta be an alternative spelling?

Baptism of HENRIETTA WHALEY of KEVIN'S STREET
on 18 June 1798
Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. PETER
Area - DUBLIN (COI)
I don't know if Henrietta was an alternative for Honora/ Hanora. I suppose it could have been a transcription error.
From researching my own paternal grandma I found that Honor/Honora etc. was a very popular name in second half of 19thC Ireland. It was up there with Bridget, Mary and Catherine. Quite a few in parish registers pre 1850 as well. Trying to track down my maternal 2xGGM, also Honora, before she married, I was overwhelmed by all the girls called Honora and Honor.  That was with the correct surname, after 1840 in 1 county.
Cowban

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Deaths Sep 1837 (>99%)
MARLOW William Basford 15 277
Deaths Mar 1838 (>99%)
Marlow Eliza Basford 15 309

That is district which covers Nottingham. Listed at GRO as mother maiden name on birth certificate as Whalley.

I might order the PDFs on the chance that they had children later on. I searched for children before 1841 census and the above two looked possible.

Can Henrietta be an alternative spelling?

Baptism of HENRIETTA WHALEY of KEVIN'S STREET
on 18 June 1798
Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. PETER
Area - DUBLIN (COI)
I don't know if Henrietta was an alternative for Honora/ Hanora. I suppose it could have been a transcription error.
From researching my own paternal grandma I found that Honor/Honora etc. was a very popular name in second half of 19thC Ireland. It was up there with Bridget, Mary and Catherine. Quite a few in parish registers pre 1850 as well. Trying to track down my maternal 2xGGM, also Honora, before she married, I was overwhelmed by all the girls called Honora and Honor.  That was with the correct surname, after 1840 in 1 county.

Thank you for reply. I think it is more likely the Honora Lyne could be the right one. What do you think of the previous posts?

By the way, sorry for all the posts. Trying to keep track of all the information and ideas that I find.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
How does Michael Riordan fit into the mix? Who were his half-brothers? Who were their parents? I got lost at that bit. Also that was London?
What you really need is the marriage of John Marlow to a woman named Honora.
What about Honora Connor, address Oxhill, Northampton? (Post #24)
Daughter Hanora was born in Cork 1819.  (post #5) Although I know young widows, especially with a child, tended to marry again quickly.
Was Honora's husband,  John Marlow, definitely a Royal Marine sergeant?

Cowban

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »
How does Michael Riordan fit into the mix? Who were his half-brothers? Who were their parents? I got lost at that bit. Also that was London?
What you really need is the marriage of John Marlow to a woman named Honora.
What about Honora Connor, address Oxhill, Northampton? (Post #24)
Daughter Hanora was born in Cork 1819.  (post #5) Although I know young widows, especially with a child, tended to marry again quickly.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14519760

Listed on there for Thomas Marlow. Baptism matches the date and now I know Thomas Marlow birth date. It lists all the siblings I know about except the reference to Michael (I found his baptism online with a mother named Honora, so it must be the correct half brother?)

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Reference:    ADM 73/289/43
Description:    

Thomas Marlow. When admitted to Greenwich Hospital School: Not stated.

Applicant born 19 May 1822 and baptised 2 June 1822 in Portsmouth, Southampton. Invited to attend the school July 1833. Siblings: Mary Ann, John, Henry and Richard William. Half brother; Michael[?] Riordan.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this website;
The Napoleon Series: Military Subjects. Organization, Strategy and Tactics
www.napoleon-series.org/miliary/c_organization.html
Articles include:
Per Mare Per Terram- The Royal Marine 1793-1815
Regimental Schools and Education in thre British Army in the Napoleonic Era
State of the British Army in 1805: An Overview of Organization and Strength of the British Army in 1805

From this I learned that the Royal Marines were authorized to recruit in Ireland in July 1793 at 3 recruiting stations, Dublin, Waterford and Cork. (Chichester & Burgess Short: The Records and Badges of the British Army)
Another thing I learned was that the 15th Light Dragoons had a female sergeant! Irrelevant to your research, but interesting.
Cowban

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I will read it. Thank you.

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Reference:    ADM 73/289/43
Description:    

Thomas Marlow. When admitted to Greenwich Hospital School: Not stated.

Applicant born 19 May 1822 and baptised 2 June 1822 in Portsmouth, Southampton. Invited to attend the school July 1833. Siblings: Mary Ann, John, Henry and Richard William. Half brother; Michael[?] Riordan.

Does the above help with John Marlow being Royal Marines? Or does it only prove that he was the son of a Greenwich Pensioner? Which would mean that John Marlow was either Royal Marines or Royal Navy?

The baptism did list as Royal Marines?