Author Topic: Honora  (Read 13005 times)

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honora
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 20 January 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I have now found this which is not digitised yet. I might order a  page check.

Reference:    ADM 193/9
Description:    
Subseries within ADM 193 - ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY DIVISION, PORTSMOUTH
Register of Marriages and Baptisms
Date:    1810-1853

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 21 January 18 00:41 GMT (UK) »
I think I found John Marlow's regiment/division.

First name(s)    John
Last name    Marlow
Rank    Colour Sgt.
Ship or unit    RM, Portsmouth Div.
Sub unit    85th Company
Location    Portsmouth

Archive reference (ADM)    96/443
Record set    British Royal Navy Personnel 1831

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Documents from National Archives arrived. School admission report was more detailed than expected. Attached are the important pages as it lists marriage and it appears to say Riordan but I don't know if I am reading that correctly?

Also the parish, is it in Ireland or is this Portsmouth?

It also mentions Michael Riordan as being 14 in (1830?) so that would be (1816?) Which is same year as the baptism I previously found.

https://imgur.com/a/LDmnW

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday 18 February 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
1st document. Is this application for admission to the school or a certificate in support of the application? Was this document from 1830? I couldn't see/read a date
Printed section at bottom reads "This to certify that Thomas Marlow, son of John Marlow by Hanora his wife, of this parish, is a real object of charity" I can't read the signatures. They were of Minister and Churchwardens  "of the parish of Portsmouth in the county of Southampton".

2nd column of form has names & ages of other children. Mary Ann Marlow aged 7, John 15 or 5?, Henry 3?. Then is it Rich'd? I'm not sure of surname of Rich'd. Could it be Riordan? (I meant to check children's names on earlier pages of this thread.)* I couldn't decide whether it was 1 or a dash after his name where other children's ages were. Last was "Michael Riordan, wife's son by former marriage aged 14 years".
3rd column residence: Warblington (?) Street,   Portsmouth
Heading of a column further along had questions about whether father was still in HM's Service and if mother was alive or dead. Answers: "Actually in the Service"; "Mother living".
Heading of last column was "Names of the King's ships which the father had served with date of entry" (___   ___2 words I can't read) "as can be ___". He was a Private on first 3 ships listed: H.M.S. Tamar (?) Sept. 1809 (?); H.M.S. Shar.... (?) May 1815; H.M.S. Primrose March 1817. He was Corporal on the next ship (name began with Sh?), entered July 1820. He entered his next ship as Sergeant in August 1823; name of ship began with C (?). He was on 2 ships in 1825. First of these might have begun with W; No idea what last was.

You'd probably deciphered the above already.
You should be able to find out more about admission criteria for Greenwich School and scholarships for poor children.

*Edit. I've looked back to earlier posts and found answer in Reply #2. Richard William Marlow born or baptised 1829. It could be 1 for 1 year or a dash signifying aged under 1 after his name on the school application form.
Thought: Daughter Hannora not on list. She was on a census as born in Cork around 1819. She came after Michael and before Mary Ann in chronological order. She may have been living elsewhere in 1830 or may not have been a daughter of John & Honora.

Cowban

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 18 February 18 00:43 GMT (UK) »
1st document. Is this application for admission to the school or a certificate in support of the application?

Related thread with replies here ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=788097.0

All the documents posted are the standard forms needed to accompany an application to Greenwich Hospital School at this period.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 18 February 18 02:48 GMT (UK) »
                                Letter of John Marlow
                                                                                                     Royal Marine Barracks
                                                                                                         Portsmouth
                                                                                                         30th Nov 1830  (?)
Sir,
       On presenting myself as a member of a benefit Society at this place, I was told my marriage certificate must be produced before I could be admitted.
When they were informed it was lodged at Greenwich they said a copy vouched by me would be sufficient. May I hope, sir, under the circumstances you will be pleased to cause a copy to be sent to me, or the original certificate, which I will return when done with.
                                        I remain sir
                          your obedient very humble servant
                                        John Marlow
                              Sergeant Royal (?) (or) Regt (?)  ____ (Marines?)

It doesn't say whom the addressee was.
He had better handwriting than some of those whose occupation involved writing.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 18 February 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for link to other thread where certificate of proof of marriage has been posted.
Cowban