Author Topic: Red Cross On Internet Access - COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 13469 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Red Cross On Internet Access - COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« on: Monday 27 August 12 02:06 BST (UK) »
Just wondering why I have a red X on my Internet Access Icon (see below). Doesn't that normally mean I'm not connected to the Internet, because I am  ???

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Red Cross On Internet Access
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
When you hover over the icon, what comes up?

I have a symbol on mine, with a red X, and when I hover it says "Local Area Connection - a network cable is unplugged".  It's been there ever since I've had my laptop (3 years) and as it doesn't affect anything I have just ignored it.
Right next to it is the one that tells me I am connected (or not as the case may be) to the internet and how good the reception is.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
The symbol with the red x is for a cable connection. You are probably connected via a wireless link, but for some reason your machine is displaying the cable icon. I have no idea why it should do that, and if it's not preventing you from being online I wouldn't worry about it.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Online Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
The symbol with the red x is for a cable connection. You are probably connected via a wireless link, but for some reason your machine is displaying the cable icon. I have no idea why it should do that, and if it's not preventing you from being online I wouldn't worry about it.

jds1949
This is because when the machine was first set up to connect to the internet, the connection used an ethernet (cable) connection. This connection is therefore still available should you or anyone want to plug in an ethernet cable. This connection can be removed if you so wish.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 03:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all those replies.

Yesterday, I switched the modem off, then back on again. The red cross remained. Today, after turning the computer back on after it was shut down overnight, the red cross is not there.

I'm actually connected to cable, though I have a router connected so the wife's laptop can be used wirelessly at the same time. Just reading your replies, the main thing is, fortunately it doesn't seem to be a major issue, and the computer still works okay!

Thanks again

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
Well here's my theory (for what it's worth)....

There is a fault in the cable that you use to connect your laptop to the router.  When the connection fails, your laptop is seamlessly connecting to the available wifi connection, and is using that.

Next to the network cable connection on your laptop, there should be a couple of LEDs.   When the little X is showing, check whether either of these LEDs are lit or flashing.  If they are not, then the laptop is not using the cable for the connection.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 12 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nick

Not too sure about your theory. It's only the desktop that is connected to the router. The wife's laptop is always used wirelessly, and never connected by cable to the router.

I can't remember whether my wife was using her lap top when the red cross icon was on, as when she uses it, she is in another room.

Les

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 12 07:11 BST (UK) »
Where a computer if fitted with both a network card and wireless, the service not connected  is signified by a X and a statement that x service is not connected.
Like my laptop, wireless has a red X on cable network connection not connected.
Another laptop using cable with wireless turned off, red X on wireless connection not connected.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 September 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry Les, from your previous post it appeared to me that the computer you use had both wi-fi and cable connectivity  :)

A thought - one thing it could be is that your ethernet adaptor in your PC is 'going to sleep'.   If you go to into Control Panel and from there to the Device Manager, and locate your Ethernet Controller, there may be a setting on there which allows the adaptor to go into low-power mode when it's not active.  It's designed mainly for laptops to conserve power, but some desktop machines allow this function to be set.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk