Author Topic: When Campbell met McLean  (Read 16543 times)

Offline DennyDescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • We're a' jock Tamson's Bairns...
    • View Profile
Re: When Campbell met McLean
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 March 20 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek, Hopefully you receive this message.
I am also a descendent of Margaret Campbell McLean b. 9th February 1879. Rothesay (My Great Grandmother). I am trying to put the pieces together and have hit a bit of a bump in the road regarding my maternal Grandmother Margaret Ann McLean who was born in 1905 to Margaret Campbell McLean prior to her marriage to Peter Miller, 22nd September 1911 and of any subsequent children. Hoping you can shed a bit more light as I cannot find a birth certificate for Margaret Ann.

Thank you. Irene (South Australia)

Hi Irene,

I've been away from the genealogy for a while.

Looking at my notes i have nothing on any births before Margaret moved to Glasgow and married my great grandfather Peter Miller.

As well as my grandmother Mary 1918 there were children James 1912 and Cecilia 1915.
However my great grandfather Peter had a heap of other children from his first wife too brought to the party.

I have your grandmother with her parents and siblings in the 1911 census, months before her marriage to Peter. No sign of any children of hers on it though.

Cheers,
Derek
Black - Whitburn, Shotts, Airdrie
Robertson - Kilsyth, Denny, Govan
Russell - Lanarkshire
Hynd - Shotts
Miller - Fossoway & Tullibole
McGibbon - Argyleshire
Johnston - Kilarrow, Argyll
Garrett - Middlesex, London, Glasgow
Brown - Rothesay
Simpson - Leslie, Fife

Offline IreneHS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek,
Thank you for your reply and apologies for late response, we had a long weekend here and were away.

I am going to commence searching the Parish records in Rothesay, Bute area and hopefully come up with something for my Grandmother Margaret Ann McLean, as on her wedding certificate 27th April 1928 she and her mother Margaret McLean have the same surname, which on further research mentions; if a child was born what was then termed 'illegitimate',he/ she would be indexed under both the mother’s maiden name and the father’s name (if known). Which is starting to make sense, as my mother Agnes Miller Mackay b 24th May 1939 and passed in 2012 mentioned, if my memory serves me correctly, that her mother was brought up by two elderly aunts, so I will commence on the census hunt also.

Thank you again Derek I appreciate all the hard work you have done.

Irene

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Can I ask you a question? How did you connect your grandmother Margaret Ann born c 1905 to Margaret Campbell McLean and her family? Was there something in Margaret Ann's marriage or death registrations connecting her mother Margaret to her family or the Margaret who married Peter Miller?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 March 20 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the marriage date. This family line has always been the most difficult to nail down.
Does the info come from a gravestne or OPR?

Thanks,
Derek.

Hi Derek,

Apologies, I must have missed this post somehow at the time but the marriage info. was from a book of Indexes to Marriages (Recorded & Unrecorded) by Bill Lawson.

The marriage details are in the 'Unrecorded' Index i.e. not on scotlandspeople & no clue as to whether catholic or protestant (Church of Scotland)

Iochdar (many variants) is an area which covered quite a few districts although not a Reg. Dist.

If you use the 1st link from Forfarian...
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.32800&lon=-7.25395&layers=5&b=1

Neil Campbell b c 1811 married Margaret (m/s Campbell) 1834 South Uist

At the time of marriage Neil was at Loch Skipport, Iochdar, S/Uist & Margaret at Loch Sheilavig, (Probably Iochdar, S/Uist)?

Loch Sheilavig is just above Loch Skipport i.e. I'm assuming it would also have been in the Iochdar area.

On early indexes the RD was simply South Uist but for more up-to-date info. the RD is Howmore

Annie

Add...

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.32800&lon=-7.25395&layers=5&b=1

Looking at the above (up-to-date) map, press + 4 times then move up from the 'Burial Ground' in this view by a few squares which will show Iochdar itself but if you move to the right of the 'Burial Ground' Loch Sheilavig is 4 squares to the right of the large capital T (on it's side) & Loch Skipport just below.

Loch Skipport (once a main port) is one of my favourite places, the scenery is beautiful & the Ponies roam wild but people friendly  :)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"