Author Topic: Heron family  (Read 7115 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Heron family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 January 19 13:32 GMT (UK) »
He obviously kept a low profile from 1896 onwards...given he went on to marry Jane Barclay in 1900  8)

Couldn't see anything further for him in the Glasgow papers. This is the main google link for the Glasgow Herald https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC  You can also searcht on the British Newspapers Archives site at www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk  However, from what we have, he moved on to Dundee and a spell in Edinburgh and back to Dundee thereafter till his death?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caroen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Although my grandfather was born in 1901 to Janet (Jessie) Morrison, Caroen had already moved on to Jane Barclay in Dundee and had a child. This still leaves the marriage to Alexina Ghislaine Baudoux in Dover in 1893? I agree that he seemed to settle with Janet Barclay after that - or maybe he just stopped marrying other women having been convicted of bigamy?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
This is the marriage entry on the registers that led to him being prosecuted:

John Louis Ford and Ellen Hamilton, 1896 in Maryhill Glasgow ref 622/1 147

Not sure if it the same Jean Baptiste who married in 1893. All the activity that we have seen so far for JBA has been in Scotland. Whiteout also posted a link that confirms I think that it is not your Jean Baptiste but one born later in Belgium.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »

... I agree that he seemed to settle with Janet Barclay after that - or maybe he just stopped marrying other women having been convicted of bigamy?

The 1900 marriage to Jane Barclay would also have been bigamous. I am not clear on the laws around bigamy to be honest. I wonder when Alice Simpson Heron died?

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:37 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't come across it already, this is your Robert's elder brother John Morrison Caroen's obit following his death at the age of 102 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9VT-H45T?i=1642&cc=2215693

Some further details are available on Family Search for him and possibly a sister Marion (we have her as Maria on the 1901 census) born 1894-5 who also shows as emigrating to the US about the same time as John.

Monica

Offline amiller

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just came across this thread after looking into my own family tree. Well before I was born, my fathers family changed their surname from Caroen, and families being families, the only explanation I knew of was that "it was something to do with a distant uncle or male relative".

I have been able to trace back to a Peter Alphonse Caroen Born 1900 marrying a Mary Jane McIntyre in 1929, Kircaldy. I looked into Peter's birth certificate to expand the family tree further, and noticed that his parents are listed as Jeanie Caroen (Barclay) and John (something beginning with B but is illegible) Caroen who was deceased at the time of this marriage.

Could this John Caroen be the Jean Baptise Caroen who married Jean Barclay in the Dundee area as it would appear he did change his name? I cannot find a death certificate for him, but it would tie in with a previous post that said he died in 1922, therefore deceased at the time of his sons wedding in 1929. On this same certificate, the witness appeared to be a Maria Alfonse Caroen/Brown, possibly a sibling of Peter and daughter of Jean and John?