Author Topic: Nurses in Yorkshire updated  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Nurses in Yorkshire updated
« on: Tuesday 28 August 12 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just posted a message on the Armed Services Board looking for information on a nurse called Minnie West who was born in Yorkshire and is on the Boer War Memorial in York. 
May West born in 1876 in Oulton, Yorkshire   I have a letter from Minnie West and May West giving the date as 1896 and the address as Beckett Hospital, Barnsley. In 1911 census RG14PN26931 May is living at home in Leeds but she is described as a Hospital Nurse, Matron at Cottage Hospital, Morpeth.  I can't find any information on Nellie West ,born in 1880 also from Oulton/Rothwell, Yorkshire, although an older relative believes she was also a nurse.
I am also looking for any information on Rhoda E. Harper also a nurse.  Rhoda is shown on the 1911 census as living in Leeds with 15 other persons, 12 of whom are nurses. 1911 Census Nurses Home, 9 Lovell Street, Leeds  RG14 26986 Rhoda E Haper Staff Nurse 46 single sick nurse for the poor; employer: Leeds Branch (can't read the initials) working in the homes of sick poor.  I think she may have visited America at sometime as we have a letter saying it was nice to see her. The letter was dated 1913 from Chicago, Illinois.

If anybody has any information on the careers /lives of Minnie, May or Nellie West and Rhoda E. Harper I would be grateful to receive it.
I would especially to know if Rhoda E Harper trained at Beckett Hospital the same as her cousins or if now where she did train.

Louise

I have just found out more information on Minnie and May  West from the Armed Services forum.  Minnie West is really called Mary Jemima West and she was a Sister in the Princess Christian Army Nursing Service (Reserve)  She trained at Beckett Hospital, Barnsley, he service no. was 402 and she enlisted 9th March 1900.  She died in Pretoria on 20th Oct 1900.  May West was aslo a Sister in the Princess Christians Army Nursing Service, service no. 701, she enlisted 2 July 1900 and in 1901 she is onthe census RG13 1064 at The Victoria Hospital Nettly.  I think May and Nellie West served in the first world war, but I don't have any details.

I have also found Probate forRhoda Elizabeth Harper of The Victoria Home, Leeds, Spinster, died 22 Nov 1936, May West spinster of Leedsd died 30 Madr 1953 and Nellie West of The Victoria Home for Invalid ladied, Leeds, Spinster died 14th Feb 1963.  If anyone has any more information on any of the nurses working lifes I would be grateful to receive it.

Louise

Offline boerwarnurses

• RootsChat Extra
  • boerwarnurses
    • View Profile
Re: Nurses in Yorkshire updated
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

I can confirm that May West who served in South Africa did go on to serve in WW1. I will write up her service and send you a link. I cannot find Minnie or Mary Jemima.

cheers
Keiron
Nurses in the Boer War 1899-1902