Author Topic: Jennings in Oake 1780  (Read 3927 times)

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Jennings in Oake 1780
« on: Wednesday 29 August 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Thomas Jennings married Mary Dite (b 1776)  in Oake in 1800, and was said to have been born in1771. His (probable) brother Hugh married in 1803, and one witness for Hugh was William Jennings, probably another brother. But I have been unable to find their baptisms in Oake or the surrounding parishes.

I am keen to find their parents, but so far have made no progress, and have not uncovered any suitable candidates. (If Thomas was the first son, his father may well have been Thomas as well)

I am beginning to suspect that the family moved to Oake in the preceding years, but where from?
Their son James later moved to Milverton, so there may have already been links there.
Thomas and William are very common names, but Hugh is not found as often. Can anyone suggest new lines of research?
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Jennings in Oake 1780
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there

There seems to be alot of little places around Oake but no Jennings.
I did find quite a few Jennings at a place called  Bishops Hull which
is 4 miles from Oake and 2 miles from Milverton.
Also alot of them in Taunton.
I did find a Thomas Jennings born 1771 but no village mentioned,
and he is on the 1841 census aged 70 living about 16 miles away
from Oake. His parents are Edward and Ann? Jennings is sometimes
written as Jenings.
The Church where they may have gone probably do not have their records
on line yet.  Not everyone are transcribed on line. I noticed that on
the IGI one of the little villages near Oake only have records up to
1679 at the moment so well behind finding your Thomas.   ::)

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 12 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Pavane

Robert and Jane Jennings had several children baptised at Stogumber or Crowcombe, including

Thomas 1777
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=8754558

Hugh 1775
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=8814085

William 1779
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=8814140

As you say, Hugh is a relatively uncommon name, so these must be good candidates for your family, even if the Thomas is a bit younger than  expected.

David

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 August 12 07:02 BST (UK) »
That's great - thank you both.

I am not sure now where the 1771 date came from, but Thomas died before the 1851 census (1848), and dates in the 1841 were not reliable. And Hugh died in 1820, so he didn't make it to any census.
Neil
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 12 13:23 BST (UK) »
Well done DRH,
Crowcombe was one of the Churches I saw and mentioned only had been transcribed to
1670 on the IGI.
 ;) 
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline cardiffexpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 September 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,
If you go to this site you will find BMD's for the parishes of Heathfield and Hillfarrance for that time period.    I found my William Jennings there, born April 1811 and also the marriage of his parents, William and Mary.   I know that some of your JENNING are from this area, and it is very near Oak.   

http://wsom-opc.org.uk/index.php?id=2   

Good luck,
Wendy

Offline ms998

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 18 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm very late to the party but found the thread via google. Thanks for all the info.

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I have now found Thomas's christening, as son of Edwd (Edward), born 1728, and Ann. It appears that Edward's father was also Edward, born 1685, whose second wife, Edward's mother, was recorded as Jana, but could be just a mistranscribed Jane. His first wife was Elizabeth Shaddock.

Offline ms998

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 December 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like progress in the years since you last posted.  I only really got up to James Jennings (3rd great grandfather) / Ann Marshall prior to finding this thread