Author Topic: Scottish arms - MacGeorge??  (Read 3055 times)

Offline clanman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish arms - MacGeorge??
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 02:00 BST (UK) »
I run a Scottish genealogy website and have received a message from a contact wondering if I could identify the arms on the gravestone in St Mungo's cemetery in Penicuik belonging to William Mcgeorge, minister of St Kentigerns (1695-1746). He thought they were were similar to those of MacFarlane, (my family of interest) which as heirs male of the House of Lennox their arms incoporate the Lennox wavy saltire with four roses crest shield.
From the photo my contact was able to provide I don't think are those of Lennox. The MacGeorge arms I found on line bear no resemblance to what is shown and another source says they are a sept of Clan Buchanan and their arms would therefore be those of Clan Buchanan, whose crest and arms are described thus; Arms:  Or, a lion rampant Sable, armed and langued Gules, within a double tressure flory counterflory of the Second.
Crest:  A dexter hand holding up a ducal cap (Proper), tufted on the top with a rose Gules, within two laurel branches in orle (also Proper).
Supporters:  Two falcons, Proper, armed Argent, jessed and belled Gules.
Badge:  A hand holding a tasselled cap.
Could anyone on this forum perhaps make a stab at the family the arms belong to?
Macfarlane, Arrochar, Callander

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish arms - MacGeorge??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
Maybe he worked for the Bank of Scotland  ;D      http://www.banknotes.com/sq119.htm

Skoosh.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
The crest which appears to be a hand holding a book has led me nowhere.  The motto might help.  Can it be read on the original as I am struggling with the image posted?
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately there are no entries for MacGeorge in the Scottish Ordinary (Vols 1 & 2) nor are they mentioned by Nisbet - those being the first ports of call for Scottish Arms.  Burke's General Armory does mention MacGeorge but the Arms therein do not match the photograph.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)