Author Topic: BATTERSEA NEW CEMETERY, MORDEN - Frederick Jones d. 1905  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Benny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BATTERSEA NEW CEMETERY, MORDEN - Frederick Jones d. 1905
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
After many years searching I think I may have found where my great-grandfather, Frederick Jones, is buried.   Details on familysearch.org show someone by that name was buried on 20th December 1905 (my Frederick died 16th December in Surrey although was living in west London) and that he was aged 43 (which my Frederick would have been).   I would like to find out if there is a gravestone and if so, what is on it.   As I live in Wales, but do go to London from time to time, it would be very helpful to find this out before setting out.   Is anyone able to help? 

With many thanks.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BATTERSEA NEW CEMETERY, MORDEN - Frederick Jones d. 1905
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 12 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Battersea New Cemetery is situated in Lower Morden Lane in the London borough of Merton but the cemetery is owned and managed by the London borough of Wandsworth. Like most London civic cemeteries this will be a very large cemetery. You will need to contact Wandsworth cemetery office for details of the grave, position and cemetery map. The cemetery office will be able to tell you whether it is a common or purchased grave and if the latter whether a gravestone was ever erected (though not whether it is still in place). If the grave was purchased the cemetery office will be able to say by who, when and what their address was and who else was buried in the grave and when and from where. Wandsworth cemetery office may make a charge for searching for this information.
Wandsworth cemetery office, where the records are kept, is at Putney Vale cemetery. The two cemeteries would be at least five miles apart.

You have to apply to Wandsworth cemetery office in writing. See their web page for further details.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/200032/deaths_funerals_and_cremations/86/cemeteries_and_crematorium/9

The only Frederick Jones aged 43 whose death was registered in the December quarter of 1905 was registered in Epsom registration district. When someone who was living in London with no known connection to the town of Epsom has a death registered in that district, there is a strong possibility that the death may have occurred in one of the five London County Council asylums situated there. It may very well be worth obtaining a copy of the death certificate because if this is the correct man and he did die in an asylum there will be further records held at the London Metropolitan Archives. The asylums had their own cemetery so if the death did occur in an asylum the body was claimed and buried by friends or relatives at Battersea New Cemetery.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda
Very many thanks for your detailed reply.   I will need to get on and write to Wandsworth Council as I'll be in London in a couple of weeks, although unsure I'll have time to visit the cemetery even if they are able to provide chapter and verse about Frederick's burial.
You are right about the death in Epsom in 1905.   We were searching for this for several years, foolishly disregarding this record as Frederick lived and worked in Kensington and as far as we had been told died after a coaching accident.   We even started to wonder whether he had in fact just abandoned his family and that the children had been told he had died.   During a visit to the LMA some time ago now I decided to revisit the death story and looked up the records of Kensington Infirmary where he may have been taken following an accident and he was there!   Furthermore, it was noted he'd been moved to Horton, which I then discovered was an asylum in Epsom.  So the pieces fell into place.   I do have a copy of his post mortem (although most of it means nothing to me) so the burial is the final piece of the jigsaw.   Actually, there is still the query over why he was born in Aldeby (Loddon district, Norfolk) with the surname Soans (variously spelt Sones, Soanes and even Soons in censuses) but when he came to London from Beccles, Suffolk, he had changed his name to Jones, which is what my grandmother's surname was.
Thanks again for your message and details about Wandsworth Council.

Offline Benny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous post, I emailed Wandsworth who very kindly have got back to me with the details of my great-grandfather's burial :
Morden Cemetery, Lower Morden, Surrey, SM4 4NU, he is in grave 3391 block O
It is apparently a common grave to unlikely to have any stone but if any users regularly visit the cemetery, I'd be most grateful to know what's there.
Thanks again to those who have responded.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

You might also want to make this request on the Surrey board. If you do place a link to each topic so Rootschatters are aware you have made the request on both boards.

Details of how to make links in topics

http://www.rootschat.com/help/faqs.php#link_2_post

Regards

Valda
Co-moderator London and Middlesex and Surrey

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
I must say that you were very lucky that they replied to your email

On the rare occassions I have had to contact them they have been unhelpful and rude.

And they normally charge £30.00 to do searches. 

I can only think you got a new employee who did not know the rules about giving out info and the manner in which to deal with the public!!!  ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Plummiegirl

We have had this conversation about Wandsworth cemetery office several times on different topics and I and others have said before that that is not our experience. For me they have always been both courteous and efficient. If they do choose to charge £30 for a search in their cemetery registers which might be quite a time consuming search then they aren't being particularly expensive for a London borough. The City of London charges for a search in the burial registers of their one cemetery, where the exact date of death is not known, a £100 a year per name per year. For a search between 1856-1956 where the exact date is known it is £25 and free after 1956 presumably because the records are computerised. It is the same costs for searching cremation records.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/cemetery-and-crematorium/Documents/Scale%20of%20Charges%202012_2013.pdf

Regards

Valda

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Benny

I took a walk 2day around Morden Cemetery.  I have taken a couple of pics, but could not find the one you are after.  The cemetery is in a very sorry state.  If you would like these pics then MP your e-mail and I will send them to you.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 November 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am searching for the cemetery or crematorium where someone is buried or scattered.

Buried 24 Apr 1926 • Morden Parish, Surrey County, England - now I have Googled and it seems a bit confusing, is this the same cemetery as Battersea, Morden ??

As this original post was 2012 who do I now contact for further information ?

Kind regards
bendywendy
HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.