Author Topic: Jane Ormiston c1837 Kelso  (Read 1991 times)

Offline barryrscott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Ormiston c1837 Kelso
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone can help me with my research on Jane Ormiston c1837.

I can find no Birth cert or 41 census on SP but have 51-01 census with her death cert too, all from SP.

The 51 lists her at her Grandmother Nancy's but there is no mention of her mother Jane (name confirmed from the death cert). There is a mention of an aunt named Elizabeth who is listed as a pauper and blind.

The main issue is she is listed as illegitimate on her death cert which is possibly why I can find no birth records for her. Neither can I find any record of Nancy, Jane or Elizabeth prior to 1851.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction or otherwise help further?

Barry

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Ormiston c1837 Kelso
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 23:02 BST (UK) »
The 1851 you mention shows as follows

Nancy Ormiston 60 b Berwick
Elizabeth 29 b Kelso
Jane 14 b Kelso

Have a look at this 1841 entry for Kelso.  If Betsy/Elizabeth was really 19 in 1841 - her age would have been rounded down to 15

Nancy Ormston 50
Betsy 15
Jean Mcann 4
Kelso ED 2 Page 39 Line 1010
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our Charlie (1924-2019)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Just double checking Barry that you are familiar with the name variant Nancy and Agnes? Nancy is showing as Agnes for 1861 so obviously her name jumped about!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 12 18:05 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse us further - "Agnes" shows her birthplace as Kelso whereas "Nancy" says Berwick

It is the right person in 1861 though as address is same as 1851

Possible baptism for Elizabeth

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1Z-W13

Other children including daughter Jane snr

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1C-K58
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1C-GHW
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT1Z-79Q
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYW7-NNY
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 12 19:46 BST (UK) »
Alistair Moffat mentions the Ormiston family of Kelso in his book "Kelsae. A History of Kelso from Earliest Times" (Mainstream Publishing, 1985). For example, page 126 -

"This house, numbers 5 and 7 Bridge Street, was owned in the eighteenth century by the Ormiston family. They were prosperous merchants who channelled their trading business through Berwick Upon Tweed, although they suffered an important disability in that they remained Catholics after the Reformation. There is a tradition that Catholic worship was carried on secretly in the house - possibly out of sight in the cellar."

In 1843 an Elizabeth Ormiston married John Stewart, skinner, in Kelso. Elizabeth died in 1886, aged 66, and her death-certificate gives her parents as John Ormiston, shoemaker, and Mary Marshall.

John Stewart was a nephew of my great-great-great-grandfather Richard Stewart, skinner in Roxburgh Street, Kelso.

Harry

Offline barryrscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.

I was not sure about the name variations but have now taken that on board and am looking in to this.

It just seems to be a wild jump to round down the age, change the name and changing place of birth so I am a little dubious with this suggested connection.

However, one thing I have learned in that anything can happen in family trees.

Harry, thank you for the tip on the book. Alistair Moffat is actually a family friend and I cant believe I havent thought of that already!

Barry