Author Topic: Gilbert Laurenson b 1771 Tingwall, d 1847 and Catherine Omand b 1772 Delting, d  (Read 7504 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
My husband is descended from these people, (he is their 4 x great grandson) and their daughter Barbara Laurenson, 16 Mar 1802 Bressay and died 1874 Ballarat, Victoria, Australia and who married Laurence Duncan (1795-1837) in Bressay 02 Jan 1827. I am still trying to find how Barbara got from Shetland to Australia. Her daughter Jean/Jane was born 1833 in Gunhall, Bressay and married Donald Johnston (1822-1888) in South Leith 03 April 1854. Donald was born in Inverness, and I know nothing much about his family except that his father's name was John. I haven't managed to find when they all went to Australia, and I don't know what happened to Jean's siblings (who were Laurence b 1827 Bressay, Gilbert b 1829 and also went to Australia, Catherine b 1831, George b Dec 1835) I'd like to confirm that Laurence Duncan died in 1837, and find out where and perhaps how. I am interested in learning anything at all about the family. My information about Gilbert Laurenson and Catherine Oma!
 nd might be suspect, and she may not be Catherine Omand, but she is Catherine someone - I have part of the family on the 1841 Census, and Catherine is a widow on the 1851 Census, living wih Nelly Laurenson aged 54 - where does she fit in?And what happened to John Laurenson b abt 1804, Barbara's brother? And were there any other siblings? In 1841 Barbara and her children were living with Gilbert and Catherine. I'd be grateful for any advice, suggestions, and anything else.RegardsJan MoonPottsville NSW Australia
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have you tried Tony Gott's site,  http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

Good Luck,

Skoosh

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks Skoosh, that's where I've got all my pre Australia info from. I do also know that at least one of Barbara's siblings went to NZ, but that's about all so far.
Jan
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline KDrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi
I have an ancestor, Jane Laurenson, b 1788 in Tingwall who married Gilbert Henderson.  Their son Gilbert b. 1827 moved to New Zealand
Could they be related?
I have Jane's father being James Laurenson who married Barbara Morrison.  Possibly brother of Gilbert?
Cheers

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert Laurenson b 1771 Tingwall, d 1847 and Catherine Omand b 1772 Delting, d
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have an ancestor, Jane Laurenson, b 1788 in Tingwall who married Gilbert Henderson.  Their son Gilbert b. 1827 moved to New Zealand
Could they be related?
I have Jane's father being James Laurenson who married Barbara Morrison.  Possibly brother of Gilbert?
Cheers

My Barbara's parents were Gilbert Laurenson and Catherine Omand - Barbara did have a brother James, but he married Jean Gawnson in Bressay 1819.
Jan