Author Topic: Tracing forwards, not backwards - Reginald Brimicombe  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing forwards, not backwards - Reginald Brimicombe
« on: Friday 31 August 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandfather's will came in the post today from the courts service, and in it there is mention of his war medals and army commission/discharge being given to his grandson, Reginald Albert Brimicombe.

I'd like to see if those items are still in the family anywhere, but my family didn't even know they were connected to a family of Brimicombes, let alone have any contact with them, so I'm trying to trace Reginald and his descendents forwards, rather than backwards. I realise that this will take me into the territory of living people, eventually, and I would like to state now that I don't expect anyone to break any forum rules in that regard. What I am interested in is some help with finding Reginald, because I can't find anything of him at all after his birth!

Here is the information I have:

William Albert BRIMICOMBE (1887-1915) mar. Ellen May BARTHORPE (1886-1969) 1911 at Gainsborough, Lincs.
Had issue:   1) Reginald Albert BRIMICOMBE (registered as Albert Reginald BRIMICOMBE) b. Jul/Aug/Sep 1913

And that is as far as I can get ???

William Albert had a younger sister, who married twice. If I can't get anywhere with tracing Reg, I wonder if it would be worth tracing her descendants to see if they know anything about William Albert's family that hasn't been passed down through my family.
WARRINER and variants (Lincolnshire, East Nottinghamshire)
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)
PENDLEBURY (Lancashire, Berkshire)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing forwards, not backwards - Reginald Brimicombe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Leah,

I think this is your man:

Marriages Mar qtr. 1942
BRIMMICOMBE, Albert R., Clark, Newcastle T., 10b/183
CLARK, Sarah, Brimmicombe, Newcastle T., 10b/183

Deaths Jun qtr. 1955
BRIMICOMBE, Sarah, 42, Scunthorpe, 3b/339

National Probate Calendar (1955)
BRIMICOMBE Sarah of 28 Bruce-road Lincoln (wife of Albert Reginald Brimicombe) died 17 May 1955 at The Memorial Hospital Scunthorpe Lincolnshire Administration Lincoln 29 July to the said Albert Reginald Brimicombe school teacher. Effects 290 15s. 4d.

I can't see a death for Albert Reginald. It is possible (though unlikely) that he could still be alive at the age of 99, so we have to be careful.

Details of potential daughter - I'll send by PM.

Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Since you now have an address for Reginald, it would be a good idea to search for him in electoral registers to see how long he lived there for. The electoral registers can be accessed at the Lincolnshire Archives, and are organized by address rather than name. Seeing as your profile says you are in Lincoln, that seems quite convenient? ;)

I think it would also be worth searching for a will of Reginald's mother, Ellen. There is a good chance she left one since she outlived her husband by over 50 years. It may give more information about Reginald's whereabouts by 1969, and might mention his and his sister's child(ren), which could be very helpful in your search.

Alexander

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander, and thanks so much for your time and help, including the PM. I'm very conveniently situated for going to the Lincoln Archives, so will be able to do as you suggest & take a look at the electoral registers (which will be a new experience as I've never used that source before). I find it so odd that I could have been living within a few short miles of a relative all my life and know nothing about their existence even, until now! :)
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)

Offline barry.turner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 December 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear Leah

Mr Brimicombe was one of my teachers at school.  I have very clear memories of him even after all these years.  I left school in 1970, he was still alive then.

I am a senior lecturer in a UK university, about the same age as when he was last my teacher.  I never did get to thank him for his contribution to my education, partly because I was too young and stupid to have recognised it then.

Regards
Barry Turner

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 December 13 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Phone books for 28 Bruce Road Lincoln show A.R. Brimicombe up to 1970.  After that it lists another Brimicombe (different initials) from 1971 to 1980, then yet another Brimicombe also in 1980.
Not sure if it's OK to mention potentially living people even by their initials - so I wont, Leah I will pm you with the initials.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 13 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Leah

Mr Brimicombe was one of my teachers at school.  I have very clear memories of him even after all these years.  I left school in 1970, he was still alive then.

I am a senior lecturer in a UK university, about the same age as when he was last my teacher.  I never did get to thank him for his contribution to my education, partly because I was too young and stupid to have recognised it then.

Regards
Barry Turner

Hello, Barry and welcome to Rootschat!

If you post twice more - perhaps just acknowledging this post a couple of times, then you will be able to send a Personal Message to Leah by clicking just underneath her name on the green icon in a circle. 

Then she will be able to advise if your Mr Brimicombe is the man she's looking for and maybe you can acknowledge his contribution to you to any of the family she tracks down!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 December 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
That's fascinating, thank-you for sharing :) The power of the Internet! Which school did Reginald teach you at, if you don't mind my asking?

Dear Leah

Regards
Barry Turner
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)

Offline Leah-WW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 December 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for the extra info Jool, and for the PM :)

Phone books for 28 Bruce Road Lincoln show A.R. Brimicombe up to 1970.  After that it lists another Brimicombe (different initials) from 1971 to 1980, then yet another Brimicombe also in 1980.
Not sure if it's OK to mention potentially living people even by their initials - so I wont, Leah I will pm you with the initials.
CAMPBELL (Lincolnshire)
EAST (Lincolnshire)