Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers  (Read 81715 times)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible database: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 September 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
thank you for all this work - it will be great !

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 30 September 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
Half a step, half a step, half a step onwards !
Into the valley of the pork butchers rode the six hundred

Ooop, too soon !

Into the (LAN/YKS/CUL/DUR) valley of the pork butchers rode the thirty seven !!
37 members have entered 92 names

I have now added an edit page and a help page
The user names (as links) now select all records from that user, and there is the usual RootsChat icon next to the user name as a link to the profile.

Try it out as much as you want, as this is still only the test-version. 

The next step is to write the ADD page for new records, and then, when that is stable, we can go live :)

Enjoy,
Bob

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 September 12 18:34 BST (UK) »
BTW,  I'm also experimenting a bit with the tables supplied by RichardFunk (reply #23) and Histres (reply #26).

I am trying to convert them to a structure which I can load directly into the database, so don't worry if you suddenly see a lot of funny looking data  .... especially if it comes and goes often  ;D

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 October 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob, all well understood and it looks great too. A very interesting record will be created by it and I think it will be quite unique. All power to your elbow!  :)
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
New features added:

• soundex on surname and place searches in the Quick Search, so we get similar sounding names.
  • also, a german soundex routine (which is very different fom the english soundex routine), which means that searching for (e.g.) Künzelsau will also find Kuenzelsau. Likewise: ö/oe, ä/ae. The german soundex routine returns some funny results sometime, but better too many than too few.
  • I've converted RichardFunk's list from a Word doc. to an SQL script and loaded thm into the database (over 600 of 'em !!) and I'm now working on converting Histres's list to SQL, soI can add that, too.

I'm still having some problems loading names with umlauts, but I shall crack that soon.

If anybody has any data in the database, please feel free to edit it, just to see how it works, and so I can get some feedback.  But don't change too much, as I shall be re-loading the database now and then.

Still on the To-Do list:

• ADD new records (high priority, so we can go live !!)
  • Advanced search (not such a high priority, as the Quick Search is quite powerfull on it's own)
  • add the abilty to register your interest in particular records,

if you recognise them as being from your family lines.
Then they will come up on "Show all with my Interests"

• add a paging feature, similar to RootsChat on long topics, so we don't load too many at one. For instance, when all data is entered, clicking on Baden-Wurttemburg will probably return nearly a 1000 entries.

Please try out as much as possible, and give me your feedback here on this topic.

Thanks,
Bob

PS: even if you aren't researching Pork Butchers, you can still try out all the features :)

PPS: as this isn't a "possible" database any more, I've changed the topic-title  ;D

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hope I'm not being picky, but could we have a link to it each time you invite us to go to it, as I am not sure how to get there! Yes, I know, I'm not a techie. I may be lazy in not looking back to other posts where a link has been given, but it would be nice to see a link to it in your posts. Hope you don't mind me asking.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
don't worry Bethgem, I don't even know how to get into this thread from the outside world!    I can only get to it through my e mail notifications!       which I am absolutely happy with!  But it's a mystery . . . .

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks 0113vanny! I too get here via the notifications, and if I want to look anywhere else on the site I just click the name next to a green leaf at the top of the page!

Anyway, the work that Berlin Bob is doing is needed by all of us and for future researchers, and for that I will keep on here to see how it looks and works when it is up and running.

Best wishes to him and his helpers.
 :)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hope I'm not being picky, but could we have a link to it each time you invite us to go to

OK, here's the usual way of getting there:

- Click on the -Button at the top of any page.

You are now in the RootsChat Reference Library

- Click on the -button

Fast-Link (costs extra  ;D ) : http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php

Please keep adding your feedback here, otherwise I may get "tunnel-vision" -
I may end up programming something which I think is fantastic, but which you can't use.

Enjoy,
Bob