Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers  (Read 81458 times)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible database: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 September 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
nothing comes up!    I must be doing something wrong. 

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 September 12 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Vanessa

Click on Surnames - Advanced Search - scroll down to occupations - choose Pork Butchers on the pull down menu and click on show results - I've seen it!

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 September 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
it worked thank you.   I was putting England is for country for some reason . . ..  .

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 September 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
So this gives a list of names that people on this forum are interested in, but it does't build up a list of names of all those that came -  we all know of many more, that people new to the site might be looking for.  What do we do with this list now?  Do we add other names that we have links with?   sorry to ask such naive questions. 

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 September 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
So this gives a list of names that people on this forum are interested in, but it does't build up a list of names of all those that came

This is why I was (also) thinking of a more general database, so that the names of  "non-family members" can also be added.  Also, the occupation info. in the SIT is more for family occupations, whereas a proper database could also include forenames of several members of the same family.

This SIT "mini database" is just a step in this direction - and as an experiment for me, to see if it could be done in this way.  Now I know how to ..., if there is enough interest I could do the same for ....   for instance: framework knitters or corkcutters or or any other long topics, where somebody has set the question "do you have any XYZ ancestors ?"

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 September 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
Ok, I shall add  some names of PB's who married into or who have links with mine. 

thank you.

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 September 12 19:19 BST (UK) »
I've just seen the new forum listing the names of Pork Butchers and I just wanted to say that I have used the search facility to see what happens. I got two entries, the same. I clicked on my username and saw a list to all my posts. This could be useful for anyone searching the names I am associated with. So then, a good idea, Bob.  :)
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline RichardFunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 September 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
My thoughts on the database are as follows. I think everyone is in agreement that some kind of central database for pork butchers is the way forward. Between us we have a huge amount of information, and it has potential to be of genuine historical and personal interest.

I'm not very familiar with the options available on this site for databases. For maximum use the database should be able to search multiple fields. The categories that I have are: "Surname", "Forname(s)", "DOB", DOD", "Origin Point" (village they were from), "Town" (British town(s) they settled in), "Address(es)", "Links" (to other pork butchers) and "Earliest Recorded in Britain".

To make best use of the information it would be handy to be able to perform field specific searches: for example, be able to type 'Sheffield' into the "Town" field and a list of all the Sheffield pork butchers comes up, or type a specific address in "Address(es)" and it list all the pork butcher occupants of that address, or more simply type a surname into "Surname" and it bring up all the pork butchers with that surname. This would let us analyse the information quickly and in ways that we can't in it's current format. It would, for example, allow us to quickly analyse how many pork butchers appeared in Britian during a certain time frame.

Does RootsChat allow for this type of database?

If not then I would suggest a seperate website like the sugar baker one, but make it MS Access based rather than MS Excel based.

What do we think?
Names: Funk, Kantenwein, Otterbach, Raissen, Hub, Stier
Places: Belsenberg, Morsbach, Rueblingen, Ober/Unter Regenbach

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 September 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

thanks for the feedback.

In principle a similar database to the Surname Interests Table (SIT) should do the job.  We can search on any one or on several fields, and wild-card searches are also possible.  http://surname.rootschat.com/sit-search.php

I would possibly extend your "origin point" to 3 columns (country, state, place) for more detailed searching.

And if the database is held on RootsChat then I would definitely want to add a "Contributor" column (RootsChat user name as Link to profile) and a "Family Connections" column ( also RootsChat user name)

I think (as in the SIT) the "contributor" has full write access to his records and everyone else can only read them.

The "Family Connections" column would include a check-box, so any RootsChat member viewing the entries could tick the box to indicate that he has connections to this family.

I have some experience in converting excel table and text tables to SQL scripts, so we may be able to incorporate some existing lists this way, rather than typing in everything by hand.
[...] for starters I've added all the names from the "german pork butcher" topics to the SIT.
[...]
To view the list, just click on the "Surnames"-button at the top of the page, then "Advanced Search" and select "German Pork Butchers" in the drop-down menu for Occupations

Looking forward to more feedback.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)