Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers  (Read 81804 times)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 07 October 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
I find that many names are duplicated, without reference to a submitter, without date of birth, residence, etc., etc.

I find this confusing, especially when I am entering the details of a family member of the same name, i.e. Schluchterer.

I too, research Pork Butchers but, without birth, birth place, etc. there is in my mind no point in entering them on the database.

I am willing to be taught that I am wrong  ;D maybe!!

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 07 October 12 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill, 

I find that many names are duplicated, without reference to a submitter, without date of birth, residence, etc., etc.
I entered about 70 records, simply by using data found in various pork butcher topics.  The rest are from Histres and RichardFunk, with different degrees of "completeness".

In the table view, you only see people researching this name/person. The submitter (or "Contributor") is always shown in the record's page view. Histres has contributed several SCHLUCHTERER so one possibility is to check with him, if they are the same person, and if so, then click on "Add me to researcher links"

This applies for every new record: if there is already a record with that name, check with the contributor if it's also about "your" family.

We can always delete duplicates later.

General question for all:

Richard raised the question earlier on about whether everybody should be allowed to edit any record, as there will no doubt be cases where several different researchers have common ancestors.  I don't know if I want to make the database totally open, but I put forward the possibility that perhaps a Contributor  could set permission for selected "Researchers" to edit particular records.

Opinions please :)

Another question: is "Submitter" a better description than "Contributor" ??
Or more generally:  if you feel any headings, titles and/or descriptions could be better, please put forward your suggestions :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 07 October 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
I find this confusing, ...

I think some of the problems can only be solved, when we see "How" the database will be used.  It has been a bit theoretical up to now ("it would be nice if we had a database of german pork butchers"), but we now have a basis to start working with it seriously.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
OK Bob, will wait and see!!

What do you think about my message beforehand? could you put in a column of "parents" (especially in Germany) or should we enter this in the "Biographical"??

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

I think it could get too complicated with specific fields for too many different things

I think the parents could go in the "Comments" field,

or ... (again as general question) ... 

we have an Address field in Country of Origin but I don't know how often that would be used.  Perhaps we should rename that to Notes or something, and put information about "life in Germany" there ??

I can always increase the size of the field if necessary.

regards,
Bob

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
ps.

if you use the Country and County field in the EDIT and ADD forms, then you don't need to add the names in the place name field.  In the table view, I only use the abbreviations, because we haven't got room there for that much information, but in the page view they are written out in full. :)

Bob

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

I don't know what others think about it but to know the immigrant's parent's in Germany would be a very important part of the research. I cannot see this as a "complication" but as a step forward in research!

It can be put into "Biographical" or "Notes" as one wishes but for me it would be an extremely important link to Germany.

Cheers
Gill

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 07 October 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
I'm adding some people and 2 things have occured to me.

1) in the place of origin section, I interpreted that as being essentially details of their birth, so the location and possible address of their birth.  Address #1 is then the first time they are found in other documentation (in my case, mostly census)  Is this the correct interpretation?

2) it would be quite useful to have a means of linking individuals  - perhaps a drop down box where people could select parents from existing entries or have the option of adding another entry

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 07 October 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Spidermonkey,

1) in the place of origin section, I interpreted that as being essentially details of their birth, so the location and possible address of their birth.  Address #1 is then the first time they are found in other documentation (in my case, mostly census)  Is this the correct interpretation?

The place fields in the edit form look like this:

In "Place of Origin" we could rename the Address: field to "Notes" or "other data" or whatever, and put the parents and other "Germany" details there.

This information would then be displayed like this
and are displayed like this in the page view

It's up to you (all) really. The fields are there and what we call them and how we use them just needs to be decided upon.

The documention can all go in the Sources field.

Bob