Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers  (Read 81792 times)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG - Database for Special Interest Groups: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #90 on: Friday 16 November 12 22:29 GMT (UK) »
your hard work and discussion s are very much appreciated by those of us who sit at home and read!!    I do agree that there should not be open access for editing, even though that does create small frustrations, but they can be overcome.

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 17 November 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I find it wonderful that such a German Pork Butcher database was created. I also appreciate that Berlin-Bob equipped it with many useful functions. However, there are still a few things to be discussed, as we must distinguish between three different groups of contributors. At first there are the submitters who bring in their own family data. Secondly there are the people like SwissGill who began exploring the roots of their own family and, when they realized that they could answer other people’s questions in RootsChat, also created own charts with other families’ names as a by-product. These contributors often have access to the genealogical data offered by different online providers. At last there are the researchers who are mostly interested in migration movements as a whole. I personally belong to this category and I want to shed some light on the interesting and little-known aspect that most of the German pork butchers originated from a very small area in Württemberg, called Hohenlohe. RichardFunk pursues the same aims in England. During the last few years I collected every single bit of information on these German emigrants that I could get and listed them in a chart. Naturally the amount of information ranges between name only and profound family history. No matter how much information I had on a single person or family, I submitted the whole of my lists to be integrated in Berlin-Bob’s new database. My purpose was, to give all those who were investigating their ancestry some evidence if their forefathers were among the pork butcher migrants. In not few cases, however, others provided the same names and now we are confronted with many duplicates. I have the strong feeling that often a family member could provide much more details on a person, but can’t edit them, as I am indicated as contributor. If all these persons turned on me and asked me to put in their additional data, I would hopelessly be overchallenged as I would have to do that parallel to the daily work in my occupation. So what solutions do we have? Would it be a possibility that submitters saved my entries on their family and asked me to delete them subsequently so that they could create a new and more comprehensive entry? Or could I give permission to Berlin-Bob that he gives them access for alterations? We should find possibilities that prevent misuse but enable us to enhance data in a safe way that is most easily to accomplish.
Histres.
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 18 November 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I haven't given much feedback as yet as I am trying to add my family and other pork butchers that I have found on my travels to the database. The database itself is a wonderful way for me to include all the pork butchers I have found and listed separately on my hard drive. I am an avid searcher but I am a very untidy person in that I have loads of scribblings on backs of envelopes, etc.

I don't only search for myself and others. I, too, am interested in any pork butcher from the Hohenlohekreis who landed on British shores. However, I like to find out as much as I can from these immigrants, the meat on the bones, so to speak, not just the names, hence my contribution is rather meagre at the moment.

Personally, I find the various address fields more than sufficient, if not unnecessary but this is just my findings as I tend to put most information into "comments".

I also find that one could add an alternative anglicised name in lthe "comments" section. In some cases I have found proof and date of a change by deed poll but otherwise have found by "snooping" around OP's family trees. Not all members of the families I have researched have altered their German name, my own families included.

As for the duplication, at the moment this isn't a big issue for me. I think time will tell and, if the size of the database is not an issue, we could wait a while before eliminating duplications. Bob has already said he will be controlling this.

That's all for now.

Gill

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #93 on: Monday 26 November 12 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm sitting here with a sore throat and a generally "unwell" feeling but after two "Kaffee Fertigs" I'm feeling quite a lot better:

Kaffee Fertig: put a little (or more depending on taste) instant coffee into an "Irish Coffee Glass" and fill it nearly full with boiling water. Add some Schnaps, as much sugar as you wish and "wohl bekommts" (enjoy it).

The Schnaps can be anything from Kirsch, Rum, Zwetschgenwasser (Damson), etc.

I use Asbach Uralt, a German brandy. 

Prost!!

I have been searching on An'cy and have found a Mark Mehrer, Australia whose ancestors originate from Hermuthausen and are PB's. I contacted him and told him of this project and suggested he had a look-in. If he dpes I know you'll all give him a hearty welcome.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 13 December 12 10:38 GMT (UK) »
As an early "Weihnachtsgeschenk" ......

The Advanced Search has now been implemented :)

Prost !
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 22 December 12 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Another one for the list.
Robert Volland who married Katharina Maria Gansler at St, Georges German Lutheran Church in Whitechapel, 26 August 1878.  He came from Wurttemburg where he was born 12 March 1853.  He died 12 February 1911 in East Dulwich, Surrey. He had a shop at 369 High Street in Stratford and then another one at Broadway, Stratford.  He and Mary had 8 children.
Anybody interested in this line, let me know.
Merry Christmas
Bermudagirl

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sunday 23 December 12 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi tsidey/bermudagirl,

this topic is for the technichal aspects of the database.

Please enter your pork butchers directly in the database,
http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php

and to the pork butchers discussion topic:
Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,408853.0.html

thanks,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jaggers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I am new to Rootschat and have started to add my list of German Pork Butchers including my great grandfather Georg Muller who started in his shop in Brick lane. I look forward to sharing information.   Jaggers.

Offline jaggers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 31 January 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
OK Tom,  I think I have arrived !

2 days ago I entered a name of Thierauf for the Pork Butchers List. I used the correct format which was successful earlier but the new entry didnt appear on the List, I tried again but still no sign of the entry on the List. Any idea of what I did wrong.?
Regards
Jaggers