Author Topic: Lords Hill Chapel Snailbeach.  (Read 5517 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lords Hill Chapel Snailbeach.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 20 15:32 GMT (UK) »
No, it was pure chance really that I lived there ,one of the very very few good things to come out of the war.
After Manchester was bombed so heavily on December 23 abd 24 1940
my sister and I were rushed to Snailbeach.
I lived with David Oldfield and his wife zGertrude.
My sister with David’s mother Annie Oldfield ,Tom Oldfield  her husband and
Alfred Blakemore her brother.
Annie and Alfred were my grandmother Mary’s younger sister  and  brother.
Mary died in Manchester in 1916.
My father

went frequently to Snailbeach .
I am in touch with ,the grandson of Mary,Alfred ,Annie ,William and John’ s bother David  .
After a time I lived with other people as Gertrude was expecting their one abd only child after many years ,Auntie Annie was too ill by then .
We went to people who were not relatives ,I was lucky and am still in touch
with the daughter of those I lived with my sister not so.
I will try to contact David’s grandson  just politeness really ,to see if he will make contact.
He is a very nice person.
Do you have a copy of the family photograph ?
With Mary and David Blakemore  ,also John,David jun.William and Alfred and at the front Mary and Annie .
Cheerio.Nice to hear from you, for some reason RootsChat is not notifying me of posts from topics I have contributed to.
Found yours by chance.
Viktoria.

Offline Callowlad

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lords Hill Chapel Snailbeach.
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 December 23 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jan,
I just tripped across your original posting looking for the burial of Thomas HILL (d. 24.08.1853), from Pennerley.

I run the Hope and Bentlawnt Local History Group, which covers a small rural areaabout 3 miles from Pennerley.  I have the records of the grave markers at Holy Trinity Church, Hope, that were legible when the records were compiled in the early 1990s.  Hope Church was built in 1843 and many of the markers, certainly from the earlier years were not legible and I do not have the parish records of burials performed there.

There is no record of Thomas HILL but there is a marker for Elizabeth HILL and her daughter, Mary who are buried in the same plot.  The gravestone reads:

'In loving remembrance of Elizabeth wife of Thomas HILL XXXX XXXX who died March 1 1885 aged 85 years.  Also of her daughter Mary beloved XXXX XXXX who died April 29th 1867 aged 28 years.'

The 'XXXX' denotes illegible text.

In the book, 'Never on a Sunday Memories of the Stiperstones Mining Communities', published in 2000 on behalf of The Shropshire Mines Trust, there is reference to those buried after the 1895 Snailbeach Mining Disaster, as follows:

'There was definitely some antagonism between the churches and the Church of England, and in some cases it was very bitter,  A nonconformist minister could perform a burial in a Church of England graveyard, but the incumbent could claim the fee and invariably did.  So you might have to pay double if you wanted your own Minister at the burial.  At one time the only places for burials were Hope Church, Shelve Church or Lordshill.  People from the Stiperstones would have to go to Hope to be buried.'

So, it is possible that:
-  The Thomas HILL you are seeking was buried at Hope;
-  The above mentioned Elizabeth and Mary HILL are related to your Thomas HILL

I hope that this helps and does not confuse your search.

Kind regards,
Barry