Author Topic: Mersey Pilots Completed with thanks  (Read 2783 times)

Offline jamesbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mersey Pilots Completed with thanks
« on: Saturday 01 September 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help? I'm trying to find out information on the following Mersey Pilots but don't if I'm in the right place, but would be very grateful for any info/help:

1. George Davies born 1810 Liverpool
2. Joseph Davies born 1825 Liverpool

The above were brothers. I know that George married Mary Davies in 1839 and that they at least 4 children between then and about 1848, but then the trail goes completely dead! Joseph married in 1853 but after the 1861 census, his wife Jane appears by herself and I get the impression that they led separate lives. I know that Joseph was buried in 1885.

Many thanks,

James

Offline jvy20

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mersey Pilots
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 12 19:45 BST (UK) »
1891 Census

19 Cathedral Road, West Derby

Walter w Dudley Head 41 Pilot

Ellen Dudley wife 39

Edith d 15

Ellen d 12

Walter s 10

Fanny d 8

May d 5

Georgina d 3

William s 1

All born Liverpool

RG12/2998 folio 49 page 6

John
Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jamesbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that John - it is very kind of you.
I'd love to hve ANY info on them; the only census info I have for them is for Joseph and his wife, Jane on the 1861 census and subsequent censuses for Jane. So, did something happen to George and his family about 1850 and what was Joseph up to between 1861 and 1885?

James

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
Together

Jane Davies
widow
abode Haydock Asylum
aged 78 years
buried 16th November 1861
---------------------------------------
Joseph Davies
pilot
abode 8 Saint Marys Lane Walton
aged 58 years
buried 30th December 1885
----------------------------------------
Luke Davies,
mariner
abode 116 Tatlock Street
aged 77 years
buried 16th December 1860
C,section H,Grave 746
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 12 23:45 BST (UK) »
St Nicholas Liverpool
children of George Davies and Mary
Abode Cumberland Street
father a pilot

George ,11th May 1840

Elizabeth,6th Feb 1842

George,1st December 1844

John,19th March 1848
born 16th November 1847
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 September 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
George and Joseph are they the sons of Luke(mariner) and Jane nee Ellis of Nova Scotia/Dale Street

I do see George but not Joseph in baptisms for this couple
St Nicholas,
Jeffray 1807
George ,1810
Evan 1812
----------------------
Lydia,1814,St Peter

was there a move or Joseph baptised some where else,

Offline jamesbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 September 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliffe,

Thank you for your kindness in replying, I am most grateful; as to why Joseph was baptised in 1825 after such a long gap will probably remain a mystery.  I'm still hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on these mens' careers as pilots and locate George or family on the 1851 census (surely, not all of them died before then! -  it is unusual that a whole family seems to have just vanished) and Joseph on the '71 and '81 censuses.

Thanks again,

James

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 September 12 20:27 BST (UK) »
So is this them in 1861 Everton
RG9/2712
let me know if I am looking at the correct family please,

Joseph Davis,aged 33,pilot,born Liverpool
Jane,wife aged 32  born Oxfordshire
Jane aged 78 years,mother,born Portelly Wales

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 12 20:34 BST (UK) »
My friend is a retired Pilot of the Mersey ...22 miles out to sea up the Mersey is a large Buoy known as "The Bar" ...the bar has a huge drop just past this buoy and all ships /Liners don`t have a problem past this point....from The Bar to Liverpool / Birkenhead docks there are underwater rocks to the left and the right of the Mersey ...when the tide is out , the Pilot guides these ships /Liners up the Mersey to their destination ....your 3 Pilots would be responsible for guiding them in to their berth dock ...don`t forget - we are talking "The Oceanic " - "The Mauratania"  etc ...HUGE ships /Liners that frequently went to USA with many many passengers on board ...so their job was hugely important for the safety of all those vessels...even smaller ships doing cargo etc , had to be led in if the Captain of that particular vessel did not know the waters
hope this helps you to have a bit more insight as to their occupation ..... Liverpool in the mid 1800`s was the busiest port in the world...I know the Oceanic /Mauratania were early 1900`s , but they are the best example of the size of some of the ships the Pilots had to guide up the Mersey

allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford