Author Topic: (lillie or lillei) hay & John Wylie  (Read 2829 times)

Offline lonewolfnz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(lillie or lillei) hay & John Wylie
« on: Sunday 02 September 12 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all. first thank you for takeing the time to read this.

I am tracking a John Wylie ( for sure ) and I believe a lillie or lillei Hay.
They had a son James Hay Wylie in about 1855

( in a earlier post re this search that i posted and a response was put *** There was a birth of a James Hay, mother Lillie Hay on 23 Jan 1855, Tannadice, Angus, Scotland. Found this on familysearch. It is an extracted record and you will be able access and buy the actual certificate on scotlandspeople. ***  i have purchased credit and searched therewith no luck at all of such record )

I have since got the marage certificate of the son and able to verify that is who we are looking for and his birth place is in Tannadice  i hope someone out there is also looking for theese names and can help me link it all.

James hay married Charlotte Marshall 1883 in new zealand

Thank you again for reading any help is apreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: (lillie or lillei) hay & John Wylie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 September 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

There is one birth on SP -
HAY , James , 1855 , Angus , Tannadice

ev

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,533544.msg3883202.html#msg3883202

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lonewolfnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 September 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

for some reason im not finding it at all. ive tried with surname and without , i ve changed the year up 2 years either side of 1955 even used Tannadice with no joy.  may i ask what details you searched on please ? apreciate your help .

Offline lonewolfnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 September 12 21:59 BST (UK) »
either side of 1855

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 08:06 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople website -
Statutory Registers : Births
Surname : Hay
Forename : James
Year range : 1855 to 1855
County : Angus
District : Tannadice

Hope this helps

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lonewolfnz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 22:13 BST (UK) »
yes thank you for your reply , time & effort.

If you have ever orderred such records how readable have you found them ?
looking at the online image its not very clear and sadly im not sure it gives me enough informayion to say this is exactly who we are looking for,

I have no imformation on either of these parents im looking for other than . thier names as listed on the sons wedding certificate. and location.  I hope someone out there to is looking for this branch of wylie .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 September 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
If you have downloaded a certificate and can't read it, tell Scotland's People and they will re-scan it for you. There's a contact form on the SP site.

Given that the birth was registered in the mother's surname, it looks as if James Hay Wyl(l)ie was illegitimate. This makes it difficult to be sure who the father was.

It is possible that the Kirk Session minutes, if they have survived, might contain a clue to the identity of John Wyl(l)ie. You need to (get someone to) go to the National Records of Scotland. The Tannadice KS minutes from 1786 to 1877 are held there, reference CH2/1019/4, but the spread of years is such that there could be large gaps in the record, so don't get your hopes up too high.

Have you found James in the 1861 and/or 1871 census? Do you know when he arrived in New Zealand?

Does James' marriage certificate give John Wyl(l)ie's occupation? Was he deceased by 1883?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.