Author Topic: Irish assistance needed please  (Read 1166 times)

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Irish assistance needed please
« on: Thursday 26 May 05 19:05 BST (UK) »

Can someone tell me what was the legal age to marry in Ireland around 1870-1880?

I am having such a hard time locating the marriage record in ireland of William Trainor (1855) and catherine Hillen (1857) - I paid a researcher in Ireland to search up to 1877 (when they had their first child in Liverpool, England) but she could find nothing - there is also nothing in English marriage records that i can locate.  The birth cerficate of the first child says that they are married.

They were not in 1871 UK census - and future census info only states Ireland (and no county) as a birthplace.

I think that they may not of married despite having 11 children!!!!  She was only 20/21 when he first child came.

Did people marry on ships coming over from ireland to England??????????

I can't locate birth records due to the year of birth - and I can confirm if it was them anyway as I don't know who their fathers were without a marriage certificate.   Websites with surnames are useless as I do not know who their families are........

I have been searching for this one thing for over a year now.

Please anyone with advice..........................

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Irish assistance needed please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 05 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think it's highly likely that they got married just before the first of their 11 children. Either in Liverpool or Ireland. Have you checked for variations of their surnames in and around Liverpool? e.g. Traynor, Trainer, Trayner and  Catherine/Kitty/Kate Hillen Hillier Hiller etc Similar question for the Irish marriage indexes 1875 to 1877.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 09:10 BST (UK) »
The researcher in Ireland went to the public records office and checked all variations of surnames.   I assume that they were honest when they did this.

I have done the same in the UK and can't find a record.

This is devasting as the marriage certicate would provide more info for me that I need.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Perhaps they went over via Wales? Or Scotland?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline njh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 05 10:17 BST (UK) »
I had not thought of that option before.   However, their first child was born in Liverpool and then just over a year later their 2nd child was born in Workington where they settled for the next 10 years.   I assumed from this that they had come in via boat from Ireland to Liverpool, had a child - then moved on.

I will keep searching other options though - this keeps me awake at night  :(