Author Topic: Elizabeth Hope- Completed  (Read 9301 times)

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Hope- Completed
« on: Monday 03 September 12 06:52 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on birth of Elizabeth Hope born c.1816 in Selkirk  to mother Elizabeth Hope (1794/1860). Probably an illigitamate child and her father may have the name of James Haig as she used the name Haig all her life. She married a John Ingles in 1834, but still called herself Elizabeth Haig.

Census information Crown copyright -www. national archives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hope
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 12 07:44 BST (UK) »
Fabulous images!

I'm not sure I can help much, but just an initial couple of thoughts:
Have you check Scotland's People for the birth of Elizabeth Hope?
Have you checked her death certificate to see if her parents are named?

You have obviously done some research to discover a possible father is John Haig. Where did you get this information from?

The answers to these questions may help someone help you.  :)

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Ruskie - I found circumstances of her birth notated on her death certificate which names James Haig as her REPUTED father. I have her mothers info and her step father was William Johnstone. When she married John Ingles she used the name Elizabeth Hope on the document ( Jan. 30, 1834) but an old newspaper article  shows her still using the name Haig and she used Haig as the middle name of her daughter ( my grandma) - Elizabeth Haig Ingles! Have not found her birth record but census indicates circa 1616.
Hansa

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie - Will retry sending death certificate

Hansa

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie  -Just figured out that you have to click on the death certificate notice in the first reply! Sorry for taking a while to figure things out as I.m quite new at this.
Hansa67

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Hansa67. I have done a little Scottish research in the past and notice that women's married names and maiden names are often virtually interchangeable. In itself, James Haig as 'reputed' father named on her death certificate may not be so reliable as Elizabeth obviously told family (including the informant) that she believed James was her father. On the other hand, if she always believed that James was her father maybe he was. Perhaps her mother told her the name of her father.

If I were you I would attempt to find Elizabeth's birth/baptism.

You might also need to look into specifics of parish relief/support for an unmarried mother, but I'm afraid this is something I have no experience with.

A really long shot ... I would also look at where Elizabeth was born to see if there is anyone around by the name of James Haig. I suspect it could be a common name, but if Elizabeth came from a small place you may be able to find James living nearby.

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 03:04 BST (UK) »
Ruskie- Thank-you for your help. I have found a few James Haig around Selkirk but I guess I`ll have to see if I can find a birth or baptism record to get a clue as to which one is the right one. I will try parish records to see if there was any support.
Thanks again
Cheers
Hansa67

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 04:56 BST (UK) »
Trouble is if there are a few James Haigs in Selkirk, you will never know which might be 'yours'. He could have been anything from much older (and maybe married  ;)) to younger than Elizabeth.  :-\ I am not famililar with Selkirk, but imagine it was a fairly big place. If you have a residence or can narrow down the area where Elizabeth lived, you may be able to find that one James Haigs is more likely than another?  :-\ Just speculating here.  ;)

I hope someone with some real knowledge of these things comes along to give you some more constructive ideas.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 04:58 BST (UK) »
Death certificate is interesting - lots of information. I'm afraid I can't read the newspaper article - when I enlarge it, it's unreadable.