Author Topic: Pennsylvania/New Jersey - General & esp. Deaths  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Pennsylvania/New Jersey - General & esp. Deaths
« on: Monday 03 September 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find info about 'Auntie Kate' and 'Uncle Jack' who emigrated from the UK (probably from Ffestiniog, Merioneth, Wales) to the USA.  Kate is definitely related to me .... but I don't know how and am trying to find out, though at present I have very little info to work with and have no idea where I should start with USA records.

I know Kate was born Kate or Catherine Roberts (well almost certainly Roberts), probably in Merioneth, Wales in the early 1890s and had a brother called Humphrey.  She married a John Jones, also presumed to be Welsh and they had one child - a son also called Jack.  I have assumed Kate and Jack probably married in UK but their son might have been born in US.  They seem to have lived in New Jersey and were certainly living there when Jack junior was killed on 20 Sept 1943 in WW2 while serving in the US Air Force.  Jack senior died in West Orange, New Jersey on 15 Oct 1960.  Kate moved to Marcus Hook(?) Pa, to be nearer to relatives and died there on 6 Oct 1976.  Her brother Humphrey must have emigrated as well.  He had 3 wives - the last an Ella Mae Roberts(?) nee Forman (born August 1906; died 25 Nov 1990) and is apparently buried in Middleton Cemetery, Middleton, Pennylvania.

Any advice on the best way of finding out about Kate and family would be very much appreciated - I know nothing about records in the US and just don't  know where to start.  Is there anything I can look up on line?  Are there searchable Death Indexes for Pennsylvania or  New Jersey? Would the death certificates for these states give me any useful info or are they low on fact like the UK death certifs?  Are there birth certifs I could search for Jack junior and would his birth certif give useful info?  What about burial records? WW2 records etc etc.  Any pointers on where to start please.

P.S. I have searched for Kate, Humphrey and Jack in Wales but with names like Roberts and Jones it's difficult.  I know I am related to a Kate Anne Roberts born in Blaenau Ffestioniog on 20 May 1894 but she definately didn't have a brother called Humphrey and I can't find any other leads in Wales e.g. no marriage to Jack.  So having drawn a blank in the UK I'm hoping US records might be able to help.   

Ninian 

Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania/New Jersey - General & esp. Deaths
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
The Social Security Death Index (available for free on www.familysearch.org) has the following:
Catherine Jones
Last Residence - Marcus Hook, Delaware Co., Pennsylvania
Born 30 Jul. 1888
Died Oct. 1976
Social Security Number issued in Pennsylvania in 1973

The Social Security death index mainly covers deaths from the mid-1960's forward, so the two John/Jacks might not be on it. 

I don't believe there is anything comprehensive online for death records for New Jersey or PA for the times that you're looking for.  There is information on ordering New Jersey death records here - http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml  Each state has different information on death records and it depends on the time frame, but most modern ones have spaces for things like place of birth and parents' names as well as other information.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
I see a family tree that indicates that Catherine was born Blaeneau Ffestiniog, Merionethshire, Wales.  Her father was listed as Humphrey Roberts, and her brother was listed as Moses Richard Roberts, born 31 Oct 1873 at Blaenau Ffestiniog U, Merionethshire, Wales and died 25 Apr. 1946 at Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania.  There is a spouse and various children listed for Moses. 

The tree has Catherine's husband as John Lloyd Jones born 20 Aug. 1884 and died 14 Oct. 1960 in West Orange.  It lists their son as John Lloyd Jones born 25 Nov. 1918 and died 20 Sep. 1943.  I don't see any sources on the tree.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Here is John, Kate, and son on the 1940 Census:  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K4R4-ZM3

They were in Newark, New Jersey in 1920 and West Orange in 1930.  Based on their ages at 1st marriage on the 1930 Census, John & Kate married around 1912.  It says that John immigrated in 1907, Kate immigrated in 1906, and they were naturalized US citizens.

This looks like the elder John's WWII draft registration card  - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11864-136667-53?cc=1861144  The address matches where they were on the 1940 Census. If you go forward to the next page after the draft registration card, it gives John's physical description.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 12 18:35 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the enlistment record of son John:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qnc/  The occupation seems to match the one on the 1940 Census.

I found an obituary for Catherine in the Delaware County Daily Times from 7 Oct. 1976, which said she died the day before at the Concord Villa Convalescent Home.  It says that she lived at 20 Walnut St., Marcus Hook for the last 15 years.  Her husband was the late John L. Jones, and she was a member of the Gold Star Mothers' Clubs in Orange, New Jersey and Chester.  She had no survivors.  She was to be buried at Rosedale Cemetery in West Orange, New Jersey.

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Shellyesq, this is really brilliant.  Can't thank you enough.  I haven't followed through all the links you provided but I've been working on Catherine/Kate from the Welsh end just to establish the link to my Roberts family.   I've found her and everything fits beautifully.  Her father was Humphrey and her grandfather on her mother's side was Moses Richards - which accounts for her brother's name.  She had been orphaned quite young and had lived with an unmarried uncle, a retired grocer and baker. She has disappeared from the UK 1911 census - explained by the fact that she had emigrated by then.  So I can now fit her and husband and son into my tree with confidence.
Only one thing is odd - I was told by a relative who gave me the info about her that she had a brother called Humphrey.  I found what I think is the tree you mentioned - was it on Ancestry - a 'oneworld tree'.  Looking at this tree Kate's only sibling was a  brother Moses (this ties in with the Wales censuses).  But on the oneworld tree, Moses has a SON called Humphrey born 1901.  I wonder if my relative might have got it wrong and Humphrey was Kate's nephew? She seemed very certain and had met Humphrey and his last wife Ella Mae Forman and has a picture of him with Kate and John Lloyd Jones.  On the photo Humphrey looks possibly younger than Kate, so possibly she has got it wrong.  I will have to get back to her on that one, which will take a while as she is in Australia and we communicate by snail mail.  It's a great pity there aren't any sources for the oneworld tree - but someone somewhere must have been tracking Kate and John Lloyd.  Seems likely it is one of Moses' children.
I know Kate moved to Marcus Hook shortly after her husband died, so she could be near relatives - possibly her brother's children, so the dates on the obituary tie in very nicely with that.  Is the obituary you found on-line? I'd love to see it and was wondering if anyone called Humphrey was mentioned.  Apparently Kate didn't like Marcus Hook very much - much more industrial that where she had lived in West Orange. Rosedale Cemetery was where her husband was buried, so the obituary info ties in nicely.
You provided info from the US censuses up to 1940.  Does this meant that the USA censuses up to 1940 are available - are they on Ancestry.com?  I have Ancestry.co.uk but I think our library has the .com version, so if I know they are available I could go and have a look at them myself.  They might give some leads about when and where Kate and John married and, more importantly, who Humphrey really was.  If I could establish that it was Humphrey, the son of Moses Richard Roberts, who married Ella Mae Forman I'd know for certain.
I know I would never have found any of this info at all without your help. I'm very grateful.  I shall be very busy now following all the leads. 
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  The 1940 Census is on ancestry.com, but it's also available for free on  www.familysearch.org and http://1940census.archives.gov/.  It is the most recent US census released to the public.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
The obituary is on www.newspaperarchives.com.  It's a subscription site, but I believe they now let non-subscribers view 1 or 2 articles for free.  No survivors were mentioned in the obituary. 

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again. 

I have been following up leads from your info.  Really interesting.  I'm obviously not making the most of Family Search - I had no idea there was USA census info or WW2 draft registration info.  John senior's WW2 info looks right.   I have a photo of him taken in the early 1940s and the photo matches the physical description on the WW" card - and there aren't many Welshmen of 5ft 10" ... so it must be him!  I'm busy tracking him down on the Welsh censuses now as the WW2 card gives his birthplace as Cerrig North Wales which must be Cerrigydrudion in Denbighshire. 

MANY THANKS