Author Topic: Writing up family history help please  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Writing up family history help please
« on: Tuesday 04 September 12 09:30 BST (UK) »
I'm thinking this has been covered before, but I've recently had to take (yet another) break from research and, into the bargain, had to have a new computer so a lot of what I'd saved on XP is now not accessible through Windows 7 ( ::))- including some of the suggestions on this topic so forgive me if I'm repeating the ruddy obvious.

I want to start writing up some of the family history research I've done over the past 25+ years, (mainly for my daughters) the only thing is ..... I'm not quite sure how to go about it.   Including scanned copies of certificates, photos, documents etc., is not a problem, but I particularly want to include more than just a diagrammatic family tree with list of names and dates, this is supposed to be a 'history' and therefore, I want to include what I know about the people themselves.   This is fine and can be done fairly logically until I start to get to great-great-grandparents - people I knew but who, to my daughters, are just names and photos.

Since my daughters won't be as familiar with the names as I am, my first thought is to perhaps include an 'index' using the Record Id and to make a separate section where I can include all those facts, notes, anecdotes and 'how/why did theys?' that will bring these people 'to life'.

Does this seem logical?   

All suggestions welcome - thank you

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Writing up family history help please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 10:16 BST (UK) »
I have prepared a write up for each generation in a Word document.  On one side of the page I have included factual information about each person in that generation using material that I have gathered from various sources.  On the facing page I've put graphics such as photos, birth/death/marriage certificates that are relevant to that generation.  Some of the information for a couple of generations extend over 6 pages.    At the end of the 46 pages that I've put together I have an index with relevant page numbers for each person.  There are a total of eight generations at present but I intend to add to this as further material is researched.   I have 2 separate books; one for the Hammond family and another one for the Eggleston family.  Information gets added on a regular basis as I discover new information. 
There is also the opportunity to add some history relating to the villages they lived in at the time.    One of the Egglestons was the only person killed in the "1766 Cheese Riots" therefore there is information relating to this.
Like you, this is being done for my 2 children.  My daughter visits about once a year and I give her what I've done to look through.  My sister thought it was fantastic but at this stage I'm quite reluctant to hand out copies to everyone.   
Regards Kaybron

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am glad you have asked this question. I think there are some relevant threads in one of the technical sections of RC, but they tend to relate to the technical side of putting stuff together rather than the process of writing (Mods please note - how about a writing up section please?)

I expect there will be as many ways of doing it as there are writers! None of us is wrong. For myself, I have decided not to include copies of all the docs for a couple of reasons. First, a lot of them are on paper and would have to be scanned, which would take ages. Harlem has scanned all his as he received them, but I started all this years ago and have so much on paper. Second, I am not sure that it is the docs that people want to see. Third, they are all documented quite well in FindMyPast, with references to their whereabouts, so if someone really wants that sort of detail, they can find it.

So - what does go in, then? I have written about a third of what I wanted to write and have I think three ways into it. The problem is that it can read 'x married y and they had three children. The eldest, z, was an aglab in 1861 and I cannot find him thereafter.' - not very interesting, so I look for other ways in. First, there are family stories. For a number of folks I have been able to confirm or refute family stories, and these titbits make good reading. So I have written a chapter that starts with the family story and where it came from, then my researching it, and then what I think is the truth of the matter. Second, like Kaybron says, there are contexts. I found a large family, many of whom relocated to the US. At the time the Ellis Island website was free, and I found many of them there, together with photos of Ellis Island. I was able to google the town where they settled and found an account of eceonomic development there, why it was a boom town etc, so I set their stories into that context. Third, we are restricted by what is available. For example, I have the World War One records and war diaries for three or four of my grandfather's generation and have been able to construct stories about them, describe what I think happened, maps of Flanders etc. For their siblings I have very little info, so the stories are unbalanced, but that's the way of things.

I'd be interested to know how others go about all this.

Oh - and it all takes a lot of time - Good Luck!

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 12:40 BST (UK) »

so a lot of what I'd saved on XP is now not accessible through Windows 7

Hi Mogsmum

What are you having trouble with?  I moved from XP to Windows 7 and can't think of any specific accessibility problems

We might be able to save you a lot of time & hassle   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 14:43 BST (UK) »

so a lot of what I'd saved on XP is now not accessible through Windows 7

Hi Mogsmum

What are you having trouble with?  I moved from XP to Windows 7 and can't think of any specific accessibility problems

We might be able to save you a lot of time & hassle   :)

Linda

My main problem is MS Publisher.   It's the program I use almost exclusively purely because I don't find Word sufficiently flexible (apart from entering raw text) for my requirements.   Now, granted I do have quite an old version of Publisher (part of the Office 2000) and yes, I could buy an updated copy, but at £89.95 - the cheapest I've so far seen it - that's money I'd rather spend on my research, it is after all, half-way to my next years Ancestry subscription.

When I bought the new computer, I did take it and all my original program CDs to 'a man' who transferred all my data across, but refused to even try putting Office 2000 on the new machine because, according to him "... there's no point trying because it won't work".   Well, nothing ventured so I thought I'd have a go myself and although I did have to use the compatibility wizard I have managed to get it to work or at least 98% of it (there are a few little things it gets het-up about, but I can live with those).

The main problem is that having, in effect, 'forced' Windows 7 to accept such an old version there are some Publisher files which it steadfastly refuses to open, no matter what I try. I do have some access to the 'old' XP computer (my daughter has it and provided she remembers to bring it when she visits, so I can still get to the files) but I would like to be able just to open things on the new machine without having to sit and watch the little circle spinning endlessly with no result and then having to make a note of which file it won't open and hoping I can find that bit of paper when my daughter comes.

If you can throw any light on how to get round this, I'd be so grateful.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 15:37 BST (UK) »
Probably a silly question, but have you tried opening Publisher first and then opening the files from within it?  (Rather than double clicking on the files)

Also, what version of Windows 7 do you have?  In a previous thread it was stated that

...Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate Editions of Windows7 would have had an XP compatability mode which works with most older programs

Linda

PS I've recently had to start using Publisher (with no training) - and I hate it!
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Oooh - it's getting technical now and I don't 'do' technical ( ;D) however, apparently I'm using "V.6.1. (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)" - which presumably means something but, sadly not to me!

It's not a silly question but yes, I have tried opening the program first then the files but the result is still the same .... nothing.

As I've only used the old version of Publisher I can't comment on whether the newer varies much but if there is anything I might be able to help sort out, do please ask.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mogsmum

I think the hole I've just dug is rather deeper than my ladder!  :o ::)

I suggest you start a new thread about the Publisher / Windows 7  problems.  That should catch the eye of the real experts (not wannabees like me!)

Thanks for the offer of help with Publisher.  It's nothing specific.  I'm used to Powerpoint and I find Publisher very unfriendly.  Perhaps I should buy a manual and learn to use it properly - but where's the fun in that?

Linda
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Next time you have access to your old computer, download the free Cuteprint PDF writer which installs like a printer.  Open the Publisher files and convert them to .pdf format which you will then be able to read on your own machine using Adobe reader or Foxit.
I used to convert Publisher files in this way when I needed to e-mail them to people who did not have Publisher, and it worked well. Occasionally however, I found that images did not always convert properly at the first attempt, so open each file to check it's ok. If not just try again - it usually works in the end.

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland