Author Topic: Alexander Philip Stewart born Ireland  (Read 8061 times)

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Philip Stewart born Ireland
« on: Monday 02 January 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

first of all HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,

I am trying to find out if Alexander Philips Stewart was born in Ireland possible southern as my cousin seems to think. he lived most of his life in North Lanarkshire Scotland, i can find no record of his birth in Scotland, although i do have his marriage in 1916 and his death in 1947.

Here is the good(difficult)part, on the documents that i have, i have two fathers names and the mothers surname is not very ligible.

Father Joseph Stewart from marriage certificate, which i am assuming is the correct name as Alexander would have given this name or
Patrick Stewart from his Death certificate ( it could be that his father had both these names?)
His mother was Margaret MacLay, Mckay or any other variation of this surname.

Alexander served in the 2/6th Scottish Rifles private no 1918 (from marriage cert`) in WW1 but i have been in touch with the Museum in Hamilton and they can find no record of him. I have also been told that he was awarded thr Croix De Guerre, although he never collected it, i have to assume that he joined another Batallion as  the 2/6th Scottish rifles werw a terratorial unit that never left Britain.

Any help would be appreciated as this brick wall has been there for quite a while now.

There are other posts on this man in the Lanarkshire section of the Scotland pages

Regards

William
Taggart, Stewart,Wright, Gordon, Baxter, Caldwell, Wilson, Workman, Leckie,Johnstone, Christie,
Taggarts Shilvodan N Ireland .McKay, McKinnon, Clelland, wilson.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Philip Stewart born Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
When was Alexander born? The Irish civil registration index (as well as 1901 and 1911 census) are all online (free) but if he's listed as Alexander without a middle name will be more difficult to find him in any records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry i missed that Alexander was born around 1893, i have been told by family members that it was in Ireland possibly southern although i have no facts to verify this, i have also looked on the 1911 census for Scotland and although there is an Alexander P Stewart living at 360 Main st Bellshill North Lanarkshire, the middle name is Parke and not Philips also the year he was born dosen`t match up.

Alexander was married on the 23 June 1916 at Dunedin, Motherwell Rd Bellshill,whaen he was 23 Usual address Terling Camp Essex.
And died at 10 Cadzow Drive Mossend, Bellshill on November 24 1947 aged 54.

Regards

William
Taggart, Stewart,Wright, Gordon, Baxter, Caldwell, Wilson, Workman, Leckie,Johnstone, Christie,

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I might also add that either Alexander or his brothers were twins.

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Decided to try another approch

If Alexander was born in Ireland the i assume that his parents were married there too, although this is not guarenteed.

so I am looking for the marriage of Joseph Stewart and Margaret Maclay etc.

Any help appreciated

Regards

William

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The Irish civil registration index is online- search for bride and groom separately then cross-reference for matching details to see if you can find the parents' marriage- www.familysearch.org

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi William

I think you need to carefully go over all the information found on your previous topic on the Lanarkshire board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,481492.0.html

There is quite a bit of information that you may have overlooked including this marriage found by Sancti.

1892 STEWART JOSEPH and MCKAY MARY ANN M at GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Andy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting the link, Andy. Saves me from any further searching in any Irish records.

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Just found this after searching for Joseph Stewart and Matgaret Mclay individually on Family search.

Joseph Lowry Stewart marriage  apr-jun 1883, film no` 101254, volume 1, page no350, Digital folder no` 4179387, image no` 00370
Margaret M`Clay                          apr-jun 1883, film no` 101254, volume 1, page no`29, digital folder no` 4179387, image no`00361.

The big question is did these people marry each other and are they the parents of Alexander Philip Stewart.

Regards

William