Author Topic: French, Illing, Ridgeway Family  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Star_boy123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French, Illing, Ridgeway Family
« on: Tuesday 04 September 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 3x Great Grandparents were called William French and Jane French (nee Illing) and they originate from the Nash, Whaddon, Winslow area, Its not clear as they seem to  have moved around a bit with each census return.
Jane's parents were George Illing and Rachel Illing (nee Ridgeway) and William's parents were Thomas French and Jane French (nee Illing). These families seem to be intertwined throughout history.

Jane and William married 12th January 1874 in Buckinghamshire and moved to  Wheldrake in Yorkshire soon afterwards.

I am trying to solve why they moved and why i can find no evidence of a birth registry for Jane (born circa 1855) and also would be interested in seeing any photos that anyone may have of these families.

Many thanks
Leeds: Calvert, Butler,Thwaites, Farrer, Rix, Hulland, Handley, Whitaker,Quinn, Gawkroger.
Lincolnshire: Marshall, South
Selby/York: Sayner, Britton, Abbott, Copley, Shooter,Wood.
Buckinghamshire: French, Illing, Ridgeway.
Norfolk: Rix, Ward
Middlesex/London: Beshaw, Glindon, Thomas, Smith, Thirkettle

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: French, Illing, Ridgeway Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
There are 21 public trees on ancestry for this couple, none of which have a birth record for Jane (1855) They only have the census details all of which I have looked at give her place of birth as Nash.

Some parents didn't register their children's births until it became compulsory in the mid 1870's. I couldn't find a record of a baptism on familysearch.org either

Two of the trees have the same photo of William and Jane.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 00:04 BST (UK) »
All I can add at the moment, is Nash is 3-4 miles east of Buckingham.  ::)

Have you enquired to BucksFHS, to do a single name search for a Jane Illing baptism.?

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Star_boy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to you both.

I have a photo of William and Jane and it is attached to my tree on ancestry.

I guess that George and Rachel never registered her birth, which is bizarre as they seem to  have registered the births of the rest of their children.

Jane has been a mystery to me for so long.
Leeds: Calvert, Butler,Thwaites, Farrer, Rix, Hulland, Handley, Whitaker,Quinn, Gawkroger.

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I couldn't find them at first in 1861, then I noticed the transcription error and wondered if a similar problem had occurred with birth registration.

Perhaps long-shots, but...

Q1 1955 Jane Allen, Winslow. 3a, 405
Q2 1956 Jane Boiling, Winslow. 3a, 421

Other Illing's:
Q4 1854 Emma Illing, Winslow. 3a, 388
Q2 1855 Maria Illing, Winslow. 3a, 411
Q3 1857 Emma Jane Illing. Winslow. 3a. 410

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Star_boy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff

Have ordered the birth certificate for Emma Jane Illing (1857) before. This is not her.

I think i may take a look at the registers for the other names you have supplied though.

Offline ClaireDC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I stumbled across it via a google search and I recognise the family names you refer to as my family also.

I am absolutely amazed to see you have posted a picture of William and Jane French - these are my great great grandparents and we have no photos going back this far in our branch of the family.  It is a very strange sensation to look at this image and actually recognise them (such is the family resemblance!)  Thank you v much for this.  My great grandmother was Keziah French (sometimes spelt Kaziah) born 1891 in Wheldrake.  She is one of the younger sisters to Rose who married James Shooter of Crockey Hill, who I believe you descend from.

I am also looking at the wedding photograph you posted and wondering about the bridesmaids.  At first I thought I recognised the grown up bridesmaid on the left as Keziah but looking at dates she is some 12 years younger than Rose.  I wonder whether this is Elizabeth French (b. 1882 and her next nearest sister in age)?  Perhaps the young girl in the picture is Keziah?

I'm afraid I don't know the reason they moved from Nash in Bucks to Wheldrake, although they were working class agricultural labourers so the underlying pull must have been for work.  Looking at the birth places of William and Jane's children they must have moved around 1881ish time.  Two of Jane's brothers also made the move.  You probably already know this.  I once went to Nash as I was passing nearby and curious.  The graveyard is full of headstones with the names French and Illing; so many that it became impossible to see how they all were connected and how I fitted in.  I think I gave up!

Our own family history mystery surrounds Keziah and how she had so many illegitimate children (my grandmother included).  I don't know if any family gossip about Keziah ever made it down your branch?

I won't write anymore in case this thread is dormant and you never read this but it would be great to hear from you. 

Claire

Offline ClaireDC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 February 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry ignore the paragraph about the wedding photo - I see now that is a more recent generation of your family!