Author Topic: EP JE&SS Knife  (Read 4257 times)

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
EP JE&SS Knife
« on: Tuesday 04 September 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
My family owns a JE&SS knife that is also marked with EP. I have read on the internet that this is probably an Electroplated Joseph Elliot and Sons knife. But JE&SS have apparenty been going since the late 18th Century and I don't know whether my knife is fifty years old or a hundred or more.
It belonged to my great grandmother who, like us, lived in Leicestershire, England but I don't know if she bought it or it was given to her or inherited etc. I do know that she was born in Devon in 1906 but she may have bought it in her later life.
I thought it must be 20th Century only because of the word electoplated- obviously I don't know anything about knives though.
I think the handle seems to be pearl or mother of pearl going by other pictures but I don't know.
I will
Researching: LEICESTER/NUNEATON: Mortimer   DONEGAL: McGarvey, Doogan     GLASGOW: Ramsay     DEVON: Edworthy

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: EP JE&SS Knife
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 22:30 BST (UK) »
More
Researching: LEICESTER/NUNEATON: Mortimer   DONEGAL: McGarvey, Doogan     GLASGOW: Ramsay     DEVON: Edworthy

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Two More

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
The first patents for electroplating were awarded in 1840.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 09:14 BST (UK) »
There are similar knives at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0qpu/  which are stated to be about 1900.
The knife is probably one of a set, of which thousands would be produced. The decoration is typically Victorian. 
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan for the two replies :) The knives in the link are similar, I think my knife has a different handle though. The ones in the link don't look to be pearl.
Thanks again,
Ryan