Author Topic: "detenue", London banker escaping creditors in Paris  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Cazo

• RootsChat Extra
  • South African Irish English Scottish Welsh French
    • View Profile
"detenue", London banker escaping creditors in Paris
« on: Tuesday 04 September 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on William Benfield, a London banker who had gone to Paris to escape his creditors sometime in late 18th and early 19th C. He was married to Elisabeth Clarke and had a daughter Margueritte who married Samuel Blackmore in Givet, Ardennes in Jan 1809. There is an indication in my notes that she may have been born in Kent.

I can't find William Benfield, his wife or daughter on familysearch - however, her marriage to Samuel is on that site. I'm not sure where else to look and any info or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks  :)
South Africa, St Helena, Ireland, Scotland, England

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "detenue", London banker escaping creditors in Paris
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 01:23 BST (UK) »
We can start by going to the original record of the marriage at the Ardennes archives, which is likely to have more info than on familysearch.

http://archives.cg08.fr/arkotheque/etat_civil/index.php
pick Givet as the commune, note that the year range you want is "VII-1817 ", VII refers to the French Republican Calendar.

The marriage record is on pages 360/361 of that image set (can't link directly).
3rd Jan 1809; marriage of Samuel Blackmore, prisoner of war, English, midshipman of the Royal Navy, native of Exmouth (possib.), England, not previously married, born 10 November 1776, son of the late William Blackmore and Sarah Elson, to Margueritte Benfield, English, native of Exmouth, not previously married, born 2 October 1775, daughter of the late William Benfield and Elizabeth Clarke.

There is also a son Samuel Joseph registered to them in the same year.

Also I found a reference to a daughter b. Verdun online; checking,  there are several children registered to them in Verdun
http://archives.meuse.fr/

Sarah, daughter of Samuel Blackmore, midshipman of the Royal Navy aged 30, English prisoner of war, and Marguerite Banfield, his wife,  b. 29 December 1807

Samuel, son of Samuel Blackmore (aged 35) and Marguerite Benfield, b. 5 August 1810 d. 28 August 1810 aged 3 weeks

Marguerite, daughter of Samuel Blackmore (aged 36) and Marguerite Banfield his wife, b. 20 Oct 1811
Jeannie

James, son of Samuel Blackmore (aged about 39) and Marguerite Benfield his wife, b. 9 Nov 1809
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cazo

• RootsChat Extra
  • South African Irish English Scottish Welsh French
    • View Profile
Re: "detenue", London banker escaping creditors in Paris
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 May 13 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jorose.

I'm struggling to find Marguerite Benfield's original baptism in Exmouth, or in England. Anybody have any ideas? I'm also looking for the marriage between William Benfield and Elisabeth Clarke.

Thanks
South Africa, St Helena, Ireland, Scotland, England